IPAQ trouble - won't turn on

Old February 18th 14, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IPAQ trouble - won't turn on

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:33:54 AM UTC-6, Frank Beythien wrote:
Am 18.02.2014 13:59, schrieb Greg Delp:

Bill,

Your name is familiar as I think I sold you the 310. The unit will have these exact symptoms also if you try to charge using any cord other than the original cord that came with an HP 310 (special HP wiring)or if you don't use the USB OTG pigtail that I provided with the unit. The details are hazy but the 310 looks for one of the USB pins to be grounded to another, if I remember correctly pins 4 and 5, or the unit will not start the charging process.

When I bought the unit the owner had just replaced the battery so it is relatively new. He hadn't found this information about the charge process so the battery wouldn't charge. I could plug in the unit for long hours get the light as you describe above and the unit would never turn on or charge.. After hours of internet research I was able to find the USB OTG solution and after charging with that pigtail the unit would turn on within a few minutes and then fully charge after several hours. I used the unit for multiple hours for several use/recharge cycles to make sure the battery was ok. Then also did the tests with the extra external battery for extended inflight use. You still need to use the USB OTG pigtail for that backup battery as well or again the 310 wont start the charging process.

If you're using the USB OTG pigtail then I'm not sure what else the problem could be.

Another problem can be the lid over the battery. There is a tiny switch

near the battery, which will be pressed by the properly closed lid and

otherwise prevents HP310 operation.

CU

Frank

Bill, I suggest you toss your IPAQ into the hazardous electronics bin at your local dump. After suffering through over 10 years of squinting at that damned thing I recommend getting an Avier, Oudie or ClearNav, whatever you can afford. You'll be glad the battery on the IPAQ died, let it rest in peace.

Old February 19th 14, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I didn't see this response; here's what I learned when my 5555 did the same thing. I downloaded the manual. Sure enough, it turned out when fully depleted, it was required to charge in steps. Charge as you did, Unplug, Push reset button, Charge again. Then done.

Sorry if this is not the same issue for your model.
~BB
Old May 1st 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 10:33:54 AM UTC-5, Frank Beythien wrote:
[...]

That's it for me Frank! Thanks - I was trying to breath life into this old Ipaq since we use with our hotel lock system (Vingcard) - I put new battery in and it would only boot up for a few seconds then die. Tried all kinds of things to breath life- finally came across your point that the iPAQ likes to have its battery cover Covered - put the cover back on and its working like a champ now (with new battery) - swew! Thanks - I'm the hero at my work now - thanks for posting!

KX 155 trouble doug mcconnell Products 1 October 31st 12 05:41 PM
KAP 140 trouble Dan Luke Owning 27 July 12th 07 07:13 PM
Posting Trouble Cody Dawg Piloting 3 November 29th 06 08:06 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
The Trouble With E-Ballots WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:46 PM