Borgelt B40 questions

Old June 20th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Borgelt B40 questions

I am planning to replace the mechanical backup vario in my glider with an old B40 I have bought. That should avoid interference with my main vario which is on the same TE line, since both would be pressure-transducer based.

The B40 I have has a very tiny speaker mounted on it, not much more than an inch in diameter. Would a larger more conventional speaker with a paper cone that is 2 inches or more in diameter work better? I.e., have a louder and more pleasant sound?

The B40 can have a 9V battery mounted on its rear for backup power, removing my one objection to having an electronic vario as the backup. But what type battery would be best? A lithium battery (non-rechargeable) would have the longest life in this role (probably never used, but really want it to work for hours if ever used), and may be more immune to the extreme temperatures the glider cockpit is subjected to, both in the air and on the ground.. OTOH, is there a danger of a such a lithium battery bursting into flames? Yes we carry many other small lithium batteries in the cockpit, in phones and PLBs etc. But those don't live in the cockpit between flights. It gets pretty hot in the trailer on summer days.
Old June 20th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The tiny stock speaker on my B40 is plenty loud enough for my cockpit and seems to have reasonable sound quality. I use an Energizer Ultimate Lithium 9v backup battery and have been very happy with it. It claims a 10 year shelf life and "100% leak proof design." I've had mine installed for 3 years now and it's still going strong. From a temperature POV, my glider is stored in its trailer, which sits in the south Texas sun year round. We had 51 days of temps above 100 last year and similar counts every other year so I think I can safely say that the heat doesn't seem to negatively affect this battery. Highly recommended.

Robert

Old June 20th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 13:02:53 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

The B40 I have has a very tiny speaker mounted on it, not much more than
an inch in diameter. Would a larger more conventional speaker with a
paper cone that is 2 inches or more in diameter work better? I.e., have
a louder and more pleasant sound?

I bought mine at least second hand. It came with a cylindrical black
plastic cylinder, about 30mm diameter and 5mm long (1.25" x .6"). One end
us mounted behind my panel with velcro and the other is perforated. The
sound is plenty loud and with a pleasant tone.

The B40 can have a 9V battery mounted on its rear for backup power,
removing my one objection to having an electronic vario as the backup.
But what type battery would be best?

I use an ordinary alkaline 9v battery - PP3 - as the backup battery and
replace it every year or two - never been anyway near flat.

My B40 is normally run off the main 7AH SLA with sound turned fully low
for thermal flights: its my backup vario. However, I turn the main vario
down and the sound up on the B40 when ridge running because its has a
faster response than my main vario, an SDI C4, and seems better suited to
that environment.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old June 20th 19, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:36:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

I have used the B40 as a back up for at least 14 years and I agree with the last poster that the little speaker is fine. Like the manual says you can fit a bigger 8 ohm speaker but with increased current draw. I am actually trying to find a spare B40 speaker so if you decide to change yours I will buy it from you!

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/B40man.pdf
Old June 21st 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

Back when I had my B-40 I was able to buy one of the B-40 type speaker from Allied electronics.
Steve

I have used the B40 as a back up for at least 14 years and I agree with the last poster that the little speaker is fine. Like the manual says you can fit a bigger 8 ohm speaker but with increased current draw. I am actually trying to find a spare B40 speaker so if you decide to change yours I will buy it from you!

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/B40man.pdf

f/s Borgelt B-100 John Sinclair Soaring 3 February 18th 07 03:37 AM
Looking for a Borgelt B-50 [email protected] Soaring 1 January 20th 06 10:16 AM
WTB: Borgelt B40 James Soaring 0 June 19th 04 12:02 AM
WTB:Borgelt B50 Dales Hotel Soaring 1 June 15th 04 09:01 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM