A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Newbie Help

Old June 23rd 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

Made my first flight in my very old LS3a - first flight in over 13 years - just like riding a bicycle.

Problem-- cannot connect my new lxnav Nano4 to my Win PC - When I try to download flight the Nano tries to connect to my PC but then my WiFi disconnects cannot seem to load both at same time - so I tried just connecting the Nano and it just spins without connecting.

What am I missing???

Any help appreciated

Joel G5
Old June 23rd 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 6:03:17 PM UTC-7, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
Made my first flight in my very old LS3a - first flight in over 13 years - just like riding a bicycle.

Problem-- cannot connect my new lxnav Nano4 to my Win PC - When I try to download flight the Nano tries to connect to my PC but then my WiFi disconnects cannot seem to load both at same time - so I tried just connecting the Nano and it just spins without connecting.

What am I missing???

Any help appreciated

Joel G5

On the left side of the unit, there is a small hole with a reset button. If you need to reset the unit, use a paper clip to press the reset button. In all normal operations, this button should never be used.

Then make sure the Nano is off.

Connect the NANO4 to a computer using a USB cable. It will automatically power on and go to data transfer mode. If the NANO4 is in data transfer mode, and the USB cable is unplugged, the NANO4 will shut down.

When in data transfer mode, there will be a message on the screen “USB Connected” followed by “USB mounted”. This indicates that NANO4 Flight recorder is in transfer mode. To unmount USB simply press any key on the NANO4 and it will go to normal operation mode.
When in Normal operation mode, the logger is ready for recording flights.
The mode in which the NANO4 is operating can be determined from the main screen, or LEDs when the screen is off.

Richard
Old June 23rd 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

I found my Nano 4 was very picky about the USB cable I used. You might try several different cables.
Old June 23rd 19, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

There are vendors out there now that sell what they call "charging" USB cables. what is a "charging" USB cable you may ask? It's one that only has the power lines and not the data lines. Of course, if you try to use one of those you'll get nothing.

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:34:57 AM UTC-5, Craig Funston wrote:
I found my Nano 4 was very picky about the USB cable I used. You might try several different cables.

Old June 23rd 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

Agreed....."charging cables are just that", charging cables. No data transfer......
I have had good luck with "Paracable".....no relationship other than a user.
Charger is one thang, charger and data is yet another thang.....
Sorta happy with Paracable, get on Amazon or other spots.

Don't like me using "thang", get over it.....some peeps consider it "cool"......

Yes....I have "charging cables" as well as "charging/data cables". I beat the **** out of cheap charging cables, sorta save charge/data cables when the need arises.
Charging cables may be had for under $8US almost anywhere.......charge/data cables is much more picky.....
Taken from a 20+year field service guy.....charge, is one thang, charge/data can be a whole different thang....
YMMV......(look it up....;-))
Old June 24th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

I recently discovered that USB-C cables have at least three varieties.
Some will charge at a lower rate than others.
Some will pass video, while some (like the charging cable for a Macbook Pro) won't.
You'd think a heavy enough piece of electric string would be a piece of electric string.
But perhaps only if the manufacturer understood and cared what the U meant.
Jim
Old June 24th 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Newbie Help

Universal? What a laugh. How many different plugs can you have before a device is no longer considered "universal?" Notice how many desk drawers look like a spaghetti breeding ground?