New "Android" Tablet

Old March 28th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Default New "Android" Tablet

RIM (BlackBerry) announced that their PlayBook will be able to run
Android apps (by using an app). Does anyone know if XCSoar or LK8000
would run in such an environment? Is the PlayBook daylight readable?

-John
Old March 28th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

jsbrake wrote:
RIM (BlackBerry) announced that their PlayBook will be able to run
Android apps (by using an app). Does anyone know if XCSoar or LK8000
would run in such an environment? Is the PlayBook daylight readable?

One thing is su LK8000 will *not* run on it. LK8000 is not
portable, it runs only on Windows, no Android.

XCSoar might run, but the PlayBook has only just been announced, and
the technical specifications are unknown yet. The PlayBook does not
run with Android natively, it has some sort of virtualization layer
for Android Apps. It is yet unknown how well they will emulate the
Android API.

I wouldn't put my money there, there are so many other good Android
products. I'm very delighted of my Dell Streak, it's perfectly
readable in direct sunlight, better than anything I have seen before.

Max
Old March 28th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Truly the LK (as many thousands pilots and hundreds of clubs are calling it) does not currently run on any other device other than Windows CE.
However we are preparing for migration to other platforms during next year.
As of now, we are committed to make it work smoothly on 80 dollars running with slow processors, as well as faster models.
Our concern is that the many thousands pilots and hundreds of clubs that have adopted the software and bought this year a PNA to run LK, will not change it during this or the next season for a 500 euro device.
A PNA or Tablet priced 500 euro is out of the market for 99% of pilots. Expecially compared to those 80 euro MIO 400...
Things in the future shall change. This is our vision.

paolo

Old March 28th 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Thank you for your responses.

I'm trying to figure out various options for myself... I'm
considering a tablet computer, would like Android, something that will
fit in my cockpit and be a reasonable replacement for my declining
personal laptop (I'm doing less "work" with it, as I have access to
computers at my workplace). I have a BlackBerry (still on contract)
so the PlayBook would connect easily with it, while I'd need to figure
out tethering with anything else. Choices, choices... I'm getting
confused (sigh).
Old March 28th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:14:03 -0700, jsbrake wrote:

Thank you for your responses.

I'm trying to figure out various options for myself... I'm considering
a tablet computer, would like Android, something that will fit in my
cockpit and be a reasonable replacement for my declining personal laptop
(I'm doing less "work" with it, as I have access to computers at my
workplace). I have a BlackBerry (still on contract) so the PlayBook
would connect easily with it, while I'd need to figure out tethering
with anything else. Choices, choices... I'm getting confused (sigh).

I'm happy with running either XCSoar or LK8000 on my cheapie Binatone
B350 (another $US80 automotive satnav): I'm currently using LK8000
because I prefer the way it overlays information on the map to XCSoar's
info-boxes. The only real drawback to the B.350 is the relative
difficulty of reading the thing with direct sun on its face, but this is
common to all the backlit devices: their technique of overpowering the
sun with sheer backlit brightness is optimistic at best.

So, my current plot is to stick with the B.350 until something small [1]
and relatively cheap and fitted with either a trans-reflective screen or
a colour e-Ink display comes on the market.

[1] I might just about squeeze a 5" device into my cockpit without hiding
nearby instruments but something with a 4.3" landscape display would be
better.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK