IPAQ trouble - won't turn on

Old February 18th 14, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

Default IPAQ trouble - won't turn on

I have an HP IPAQ 310 that I run X-C Soar on, that won't turn on. :-(

I left it in my bag for a few months and didn't use it, and wouldn't be surprised if the battery ran down.
Before that period, it worked fine and was not in a condition to suffer physical damage.
When I plug it in, the amber charge light illuminates, but even overnight charging never shows the battery fully charged.
The unit won't turn on at all, whether plugged in or not.

Searched HP forums and didn't find this exact issue with this model

Does anybody know if this is how it will behave when the battery finally gives up the ghost? I'd hate to spring $25 or more bucks on a battery for a dead unit.

Bill Palmer
wfpalmer at gmail dot com
Old February 18th 14, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, February 17, 2014 8:53:45 PM UTC-5, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have an HP IPAQ 310 that I run X-C Soar on, that won't turn on. :-(

I left it in my bag for a few months and didn't use it, and wouldn't be surprised if the battery ran down.

Before that period, it worked fine and was not in a condition to suffer physical damage.

When I plug it in, the amber charge light illuminates, but even overnight charging never shows the battery fully charged.

The unit won't turn on at all, whether plugged in or not.

Searched HP forums and didn't find this exact issue with this model

Does anybody know if this is how it will behave when the battery finally gives up the ghost? I'd hate to spring $25 or more bucks on a battery for a dead unit.

Bill Palmer

wfpalmer at gmail dot com

Google "IPAQ 310 hard reset".
Old February 18th 14, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins

On Monday, February 17, 2014 7:53:45 PM UTC-6, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have an HP IPAQ 310 that I run X-C Soar on, that won't turn on. :-(

I left it in my bag for a few months and didn't use it, and wouldn't be surprised if the battery ran down.

Before that period, it worked fine and was not in a condition to suffer physical damage.

When I plug it in, the amber charge light illuminates, but even overnight charging never shows the battery fully charged.

The unit won't turn on at all, whether plugged in or not.

Searched HP forums and didn't find this exact issue with this model

Does anybody know if this is how it will behave when the battery finally gives up the ghost? I'd hate to spring $25 or more bucks on a battery for a dead unit.

Bill Palmer

wfpalmer at gmail dot com

Bill I use the 310 with LK8000 and did the same thing - battery was bad went to battery plus and picked a new battery been running good for a year.

you may have to do a hard reset.

ZEN
Old February 18th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This often happens when a battery discharges and goes flat for an extended period. A new battery will likely fix it.
Old February 18th 14, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

If changing the battery doesn't fix it, I accidentally discovered that running over an IPAQ with the car takes care of similar issues.
Jim
Old February 18th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:53:45 -0800, Bill Palmer wrote:

I have an HP IPAQ 310 that I run X-C Soar on, that won't turn on. :-(

I left it in my bag for a few months and didn't use it, and wouldn't be
surprised if the battery ran down.

The IPAQ 310 manual says you should take the battery out if you're not
going to use it for some time.

The problem with leaving the battery in it is that, when you turn a 310
off, some of its electronics are still running: the on/off touch switch
for draws power because it is a sensor rather than a mechanical push on/
push off switch and the clock/calendar is still active as well. These
will drain the battery if it is left in the 310 and, as the battery is
lithium-ion, running it right down will kill it.

However, replacing the battery in a 310 is really simple and replacement
batteries are available from eBay.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 18th 14, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thermal

On Monday, February 17, 2014 9:54:26 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

I had two on offer for free on glidersource for ages. along with two ipaqs and misc accessories. no takers after a year. couldn't give 'em away. ipaqs (3135 and 5555) are freecyceled and gone. still have the ipaq 310 batteries if you want them. also the suction cup mount and charger too.
quietpilot at gmail daht com

Old February 18th 14, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Bill,

Your name is familiar as I think I sold you the 310. The unit will have these exact symptoms also if you try to charge using any cord other than the original cord that came with an HP 310 (special HP wiring)or if you don't use the USB OTG pigtail that I provided with the unit. The details are hazy but the 310 looks for one of the USB pins to be grounded to another, if I remember correctly pins 4 and 5, or the unit will not start the charging process.

When I bought the unit the owner had just replaced the battery so it is relatively new. He hadn't found this information about the charge process so the battery wouldn't charge. I could plug in the unit for long hours get the light as you describe above and the unit would never turn on or charge. After hours of internet research I was able to find the USB OTG solution and after charging with that pigtail the unit would turn on within a few minutes and then fully charge after several hours. I used the unit for multiple hours for several use/recharge cycles to make sure the battery was ok. Then also did the tests with the extra external battery for extended inflight use. You still need to use the USB OTG pigtail for that backup battery as well or again the 310 wont start the charging process.

If you're using the USB OTG pigtail then I'm not sure what else the problem could be.
Old February 18th 14, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

I will also add that I did find out that even if you put the 310 in it's protective carrying case, the power button is very easy to activate with just slight pressure from other items in a bag or just sliding the unit in and out of the case. Like Martin said above, I would remove the battery once it's charged just to make sure it's not drained by an accidental activation and it will be ready for your flights.
Old February 18th 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Beythien[_6_]

Am 18.02.2014 13:59, schrieb Greg Delp:
[...]

Another problem can be the lid over the battery. There is a tiny switch
near the battery, which will be pressed by the properly closed lid and
otherwise prevents HP310 operation.

CU
Frank

KX 155 trouble doug mcconnell Products 1 October 31st 12 05:41 PM
KAP 140 trouble Dan Luke Owning 27 July 12th 07 07:13 PM
Posting Trouble Cody Dawg Piloting 3 November 29th 06 08:06 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
The Trouble With E-Ballots WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:46 PM