A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Live Streaming Gliding this Summer

Old May 18th 20, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Monte Carbo
external usenet poster

Default Live Streaming Gliding this Summer

Greetings all! This is my first post to the forums and I come with a rather unusual proposition.

Beginning on June 7th (20 days from this post), I will begin a road trip of epic proportions. The goal is to reach all 50 states in 50 days and I intend to live stream as much of the journey as possible. This has been a big project/dream of mine for many years that I could talk about for hours, but I'll cut to the chase. I was wondering if anyone on this forum would be willing to take me (or just my camera) for a glider flight while I'm in your area to make some content for my stream. Depending on how close you are to my general route, I would love to discuss meeting up with you to share the thrill and freedom of high octane flying with an audience.

The outline of this trip is actually intended to be rather noble and I would love it if the great people here would be interested in joining in. I have partnered with 30+ nonprofit organizations so that I can dedicate the first half of each day on the road to helping people across the country (literally) and the second half for doing rad things with people like you. If this sounds at all interesting, I would love to talk with you more about a quick visit.

Thank you very much for your time! I look forward to meeting you and hearing your thoughts on this project of mine.
Old May 18th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 12:20:30 AM UTC-4, Monte Carbo wrote:
The goal is to reach all 50 states in 50 days and I intend to live stream as much of the journey as possible.

Are you trolling RAS and hoping to whip up a storm?

The glider community is too small to be divided by politicized current events.
Old May 18th 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Monte Carbo
external usenet poster

Are you trolling RAS and hoping to whip up a storm?

Absolutely not. My project has nothing to do with politics, so I really don't know how you're reading this. I mentioned in my post that this is something I have been planning for years and finally have the opportunity to make it happen. I'm simply interested in gliding as an activity and wanted to see if the community would be interested in sharing it with a small audience. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I have no agenda.
Old May 18th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess
external usenet poster

It sounds like an interesting project. As far as "scheduling" well in advance with glider pilots, this 50 days in 50 states sounds like too tight a schedule. But you might announce where you are as you go and see if someone is flying or planning to fly on shorter notice.
Old May 19th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:43:42 PM UTC-6, Bret Hess wrote:
It sounds like an interesting project. As far as "scheduling" well in advance with glider pilots, this 50 days in 50 states sounds like too tight a schedule. But you might announce where you are as you go and see if someone is flying or planning to fly on shorter notice.

Soaring is very weather dependent. Even if you could make it to every state in the allotted 50 days, you are bound to run into bad weather along the way, which would be a no-go. You would need to somehow plan that in to your trip.
Old May 19th 20, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Monte Carbo
external usenet poster

Soaring is very weather dependent. Even if you could make it to every state in the allotted 50 days, you are bound to run into bad weather along the way, which would be a no-go. You would need to somehow plan that in to your trip.

Thanks for the response, John. For clarification, I don't intend to glide to/in all 50 states as my traveling will be done by road. My vision was to visit someone on this forum in the afternoon and to take either myself or just the camera up for a flight. You're definitely right about the weather consideration though. Would this be something that you would be interested in helping me with, weather permitting?
Old May 19th 20, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Monte Carbo
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 5:43:42 PM UTC-5, Bret Hess wrote:
As far as "scheduling" well in advance with glider pilots, this 50 days in 50 states sounds like too tight a schedule. But you might announce where you are as you go and see if someone is flying or planning to fly on shorter notice.

You're absolutely right about the tight scheduling, Bret. I'm just hoping I can manage it via car, let alone involving the complexities of gliding conditions haha! That said, I have a pretty good idea of my schedule with each state having a specific date. All I could request would be a "maybe list" that says, "I'll be in your state on this day. If everything is looking good, let's try for a flight." Would you be interested in something like that and to play it by ear as I get close?
Old May 19th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

When you get out to "the big square states," you are going to have to do some serious speeding. Driving across Texas is a good, serious dawn to dusk excursion (or more). Be sure to allow for the time it takes to deal with the Highway Patrol and assorted county court jurisdictions.

Be sure to live stream those, too. Could be the best part of the video!
Old May 19th 20, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Monte Carbo
external usenet poster

Be sure to live stream those, too. Could be the best part of the video!

Haha content is content! Fortunately I'm only touching the tips of most of those states, so it shouldn't be too bad. Arizona and New Mexico are probably going to be the longest days and those are early on in the trip. I put a lot of thought into my route to help my sanity (and driving record/wallet) as much as possible haha.

What about the gliding? Weather permitting, would you be interested in hosting me or at least just my camera for an afternoon flight?
Old May 19th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I can't make any promises due to my work schedule, but you should definitely contact Sundance Aviation in Moriarty. They drag gliders up from 0900 to 1700, but might be closed on Monday/Tuesday.

My glider is a single seat, so just the camera is the only option. (I did the weight & balance numbers and even if you are a leprechaun, I can't duct tape you to the tail.)

But even if I take just the camera, you won't get it back until the flight is over. Maybe 4-5 hours or so. A shorter pattern tow or basic "ride" from Sundance is the best option if you intend to hit the road to make it to the next "big square state."