A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electronic Declaration

Old October 16th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Electronic Declaration

I have Flarm Core with Flarm View and would like to learn how to Electronically Declare a flight,
Can I do that,if so how? I use a Oudie but it's not connected to Flarm.
Thanks
Glen
Old October 16th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You can:
- Declare in a compatible PNA and write/save it to PowerFlarm
- Add a declaration into your PowerFlarm FLARMcfg.txt file using a text editor and upload it to you Flarm in the usual way (refer to example below, remove #'s before the $ to make active)
- Use an online tool to write it for you (such as: http://www.segelflug-software.de/flarmcfg/ ) and upload it in the usual way

Naturally, you'll want to practice your chosen method before using it in anger (badge or record flight)

CJ

# Task Declaration
#$PFLAC,S,NEWTASK,15MAY14
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4053033N,07754450W,RidgeSoa
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4042167N,07811550W,TyroneNo
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4113000N,07651300W,NorthEnd
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4034200N,07818083W,AltoonaP
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4113350N,07658600W,Williams
Old October 16th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:11:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have Flarm Core with Flarm View and would like to learn how to Electronically Declare a flight,
Thanks
Glen

Just curious, but why don't you connect your Oudie to the Flarm? It would provide a much better GPS source, and show the Flarm and ADS-B hits on the map - really nice feature!

Pretty sure you can declare from Oudie to Flarm (I don't personally care about declarations, so havn't tried it).

Kirk
Old October 17th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Connect it to Oudie and do your declarations through it. You cannot download the flight through Oudie, but you can Upload the declaration just fine.

Kevin
Old October 17th 16, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 11:55:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
You can:
- Declare in a compatible PNA and write/save it to PowerFlarm
- Add a declaration into your PowerFlarm FLARMcfg.txt file using a text editor and upload it to you Flarm in the usual way (refer to example below, remove #'s before the $ to make active)
- Use an online tool to write it for you (such as: http://www.segelflug-software.de/flarmcfg/ ) and upload it in the usual way

Naturally, you'll want to practice your chosen method before using it in anger (badge or record flight)

CJ

# Task Declaration
#$PFLAC,S,NEWTASK,15MAY14
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4113000N,07651300W,NorthEnd
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4034200N,07818083W,AltoonaP
#$PFLAC,S,ADDWP,4113350N,07658600W,Williams

Hi CJ
This what I'm looking for but http://www.segelflug-software.de/flarmcfg is not able to work with us cup file (at least I couldn't figure it out) is there a US version?
Old October 17th 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 12:54:35 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:11:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks
Glen

Just curious, but why don't you connect your Oudie to the Flarm? It would provide a much better GPS source, and show the Flarm and ADS-B hits on the map - really nice feature!

Pretty sure you can declare from Oudie to Flarm (I don't personally care about declarations, so havn't tried it).

Kirk

Hi Kirk
When I got my flarm core what I read about it said to keep it separate from other electronics in your glider, so that's what I did. But now I have thought about using it with my Oudie, but I'm not sure if it will Declare a flight to the Flarm.
Glen
Old October 17th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:10:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Connect it to Oudie and do your declarations through it. You cannot download the flight through Oudie, but you can Upload the declaration just fine.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin
Glen
W
Old October 17th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster
external usenet poster

Regarding IGC-approved loggers, PowerFLARM with IGC-enabling is certified for IGC records, but Portable PowerFLARM with the IGC-enabling option is only approved for OLC and badges, but not records?
Mike
Old October 17th 16, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:47:32 PM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
Regarding IGC-approved loggers, PowerFLARM with IGC-enabling is certified for IGC records, but Portable PowerFLARM with the IGC-enabling option is only approved for OLC and badges, but not records?
Mike

PowerFLARM-IGC (CORE and Portable) with IGC is certified up to the finish of the Diamond Badge. See the approval document, at http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/ , then select: "IGC Approvals for GNSS Flight Recorders summary and links to documents". PowerFLARM-IGC is line 16.

In Part:
Level of Approval: up to Diamonds (see para i-ii)
Recorder Name: PowerFLARM-IGC Core and Portable models
(i) General. This document gives formal approval from the above date for the Flight Recorder(FR) equipment described below to be
used for validation of flights under the FAI Sporting Code Section 3 (Gliders and Motor Gliders), subject to the conditions and notes
given later. IGC reserves the right to alter this approval in the future.
(i-i) Document Versions and Scope. The initial IGC-approval document was dated 10 March 2008 and an update dated 15May 2012 notified
that a program had appeared on the web that enabled false Flarm-IGC flight files to pass the IGC electronic Validation check. A security
update is now available (see para 3 below). This document only applies to the recorder function. The performance of other functions in the
recorder and external units that may be linked to the recorder is a matter between customers and the manufacturer.
(i-ii) IGC-approval Level. This is for badge flights up to and including the three Diamonds. This type of recorder can also be used in gliding
competitions in which the organisers allow this level of IGC-approval. The Levels of IGC-approval are listed in Annex B to the Sporting Code
for Gliding, para 1.1.3.3.

I went to Annex B of the Sporting Code 1.1.3.3, and found it one para lower (as of the 1 Oct 2016 version of the SC:

1.1.4 Levels of IGC-approval.
The IGC-approval document for individual types of Flight Recorders will specify
procedures to be used and any limitations on types of flights for which the approval is valid. Reduced levels of approval apply to types of Flight Recorders that do not meet the requirements for full approval at the time that the approval is given, as determined by GFAC. Reduced levels also apply where the security of a type of recorder has either been compromised or is below the requirements of the current Specification, or where other features do not meet the current Specification. The three levels of IGC-approval are listed below:

Level 1 - IGC-approval for all flights. This applies to Flight Recorders that may be used for evidence for all flights up to and including IGC world records. For new types of recorders, compliance with the current Specification is required. For types with existing IGC-approvals to this level, "Grandfather Rights" (1.1.5.2 below) apply unless there are major differences compared
to the current Specification, as assessed by GFAC.

Level 2 - IGC-approval for IGC/FAI badge and Diploma flights. This applies to Flight Recorders that may be used for evidence for all IGC/FAI badge and distance Diploma flights, but is not valid for evidence for IGC/FAI world records. For competition flights, see 1.1.4.6. This level may be used for new types of recorders that do not meet the current Specification in relatively small areas. For types of FR that are already IGC-approved, this level may be used for those which are now below the current Specification standard, particularly on security or accuracy of data, as assessed by GFAC.

Level 3 - IGC-approval for badge flights up to Diamonds. This applies to Flight Recorders that may be used for evidence for FAI/IGC Silver, Gold and Diamond badge flights but not for higher badges and diplomas, and records. For competition flights, see 1.1.4.6. This level may be used for recording systems that have significantly lower standards of security and other characteristics compared to those for higher levels of approval, as assessed by GFAC.

I WISH PowerFLARM were Level 2 (it would be a selling point for me), but it's Level 3 - I used it to complete my Diamond Badge last spring. Happily, my new CNv is Level 1.
Dan
2D

Old May 7th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 9:11:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks
Glen

Now that I have a Portable PowerFLARM I noticed that it time-stamps electronic declarations (as they appear in the flight log file) at the moment of takeoff. This is a problem, because therefore you cannot override that declaration with a paper declaration. The standard practice around here is to make a paper declaration just before takeoff, after the e-device has done its declaration. Thus if it turns out that the e-declaration has errors (e.g., one uploaded the wrong task) then the *later* paper declaration can override it (if the official observer signs the correction form). Can't do that when the e-declaration is post-dated to the moment of takeoff.