One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Old June 2nd 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 11:34:47 AM UTC-4, Steve Bralla wrote:
What happens when you are in the middle of rigging with no one else
around and the battery dies?
Does the battery have the same connectors as your glider battery?

See above ;-)
Old June 2nd 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've rigged my Mosquito with nothing at all (never de-rigged it that
way) and there are videos online to show you how.Â* But that's not what
you asked.

My take is that it's nice, but not worth the extra cost.Â* With my
LAK-17a (many years later), I had a home made rigging tool that was
manually adjustable for height and fore/aft movement and I found that it
was tedious to run back and forth making minor adjustments. What I
learned after a few times rigging the ship was that the wings needed to
be at a specific height to push them in and at another specific height
to insert the pins.Â* I simply made marks on my wing stands for those two
heights and bolted the rigging tool to the height required to slip the
spar ends into the fuselage tunnel.

It was then simple to adjust the wing stands to the "insert" position
and slide the wings home, re-adjust the stands to the "pins" position
and insert the pins.

If age or strength are the driving reasons, the powered lift might be
just the ticket.Â* Last week my Stemme was used to demonstrate one of
Mark Mocho's electric riggers for a customer.Â* It was surprisingly easy
how it was to install the outer wing panel.

On 6/2/2019 8:45 AM, Paul Kaye wrote:
Oh - the glider is an LS8 and it's in a Cobra trailer, if that helps.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 2nd 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dear Paul:
I do have a photo, just e-mail me directly.
The tongue jack section, sans wheel, is inserted in between the wing cuff and axles. It all breaks down by pulling clevis pins, so the individual sections aren't so heavy. It's steel, which gives it a lower cg, very hard to drop a wing. Almost re-did it aluminium before the light bulb came on!
Old June 2nd 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There’s two ways to go about this, raise the wing or raise the fuselage! I put the tool all the way down and leave it there. The key is the height of the wing stand and where you put it, i use a 4 leg step ladder (cut down to height with wings level)I put it at the tip. Fuselage is set at 25 foot pumps up.This makes Second wing just about right to slide all the way in, then I raise or lower fuselage with the foot pump as I feel the spar holes come together. Disassembly, i I put the tool on one wing and pick up the other wing tip to get my wing stand in place. This usually allows the pins to come out without any raising or lowering needed.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old June 2nd 19, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Sometimes, there's a better way :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk

See also: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/jJheTqvVZkg

best,
Evan
Old June 2nd 19, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 8:34:47 AM UTC-7, Steve Bralla wrote:
What happens when you are in the middle of rigging with no one else around and the battery dies? Does the battery have the same connectors as your glider battery?

Steve

Two batteries, one active and one in car for such occurrence.
Old June 2nd 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I've used a few riggers. My favourite for single seaters was the Udo Rumpf - with the lateral adjustment option. He pased away and nobody bought his tooling (even though it was offered pretty cheap).
For the Duo we've used the Cobra electric and now have the IMI electric.
The IMI is fantastic, and not very heavy. The battery lasts longer than the larger battery in the much heavier worm-drive Cobra.
I own a Cobra manually adjusted rigger, used it on LS4, LS6, ASW27 and G29. Like the Udo, I like the crank.
Have used the WingRigger, it's nice and light. The three-wheel setup is nice in most situations, but am not a fan of the gas strut type, especially rigging on uneven ground. The (original) plastic wheels can fail if used on heavy wings. Believe Mark changed that.
In the grass or dirt you need to adjust more than on paved surfaces.
Adjustment is also a bit of a hiccup with old the style (even JS3 mwent back to it) spars with a single pin and spar-end spiggots. At least with the Libelle (we had a WingRigger for that) you can see wht is misaligned and there is "the tool".
The Duo often needs a bit of a wiggle. Rigging aids don't wiggle well.
With any solo rigger, an alignment device (cam or pry bar type) is very handy.
The cam type that MM Fabrication has is perhaps the best. Cobra second best I've used.
Jim

Old June 2nd 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's quicker than I can rig the Stemme!Â* It takes me around 9 minutes,
but I have a lot farther to walk to the wing tips and I have to manually
connect the outer sections of the flaperons! :-D

Old June 2nd 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Kaye

On Sunday, 2 June 2019 17:08:28 UTC+1, Tango Eight wrote:
Sometimes, there's a better way :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk

See also: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/jJheTqvVZkg

best,
Evan

Wow - I wonder if I could make that work? I've never tried rotating the wings whilst the roots are still on the trailer dollies, but if it works that I can see that this method would be an option.
Thanks!
Old June 2nd 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Kaye

On Sunday, 2 June 2019 17:51:04 UTC+1, Paul Kaye wrote:
On Sunday, 2 June 2019 17:08:28 UTC+1, Tango Eight wrote:
Sometimes, there's a better way :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk

See also: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/jJheTqvVZkg

best,
Evan

Wow - I wonder if I could make that work? I've never tried rotating the wings whilst the roots are still on the trailer dollies, but if it works that I can see that this method would be an option.
Thanks!

Although, on second thoughts, de-rigging with that system would present a challenge. I think it would need a sturdy tressle-style wing support rather than the little tripod stand.

Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 4 July 4th 09 11:24 AM
Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 0 July 2nd 09 04:00 PM
Hearing Aids Casey Wilson Piloting 9 February 20th 06 01:40 AM
Yet another case of AIDS jsmith Piloting 12 March 18th 05 01:20 AM
MT Props w/Electric Pitch Control x Home Built 6 April 1st 04 02:44 PM