Grob G-103 Wing Pin Collar Found Disengaged

Old June 3rd 19, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Grob G-103 Wing Pin Collar Found Disengaged

The glider was rigged, hookups checked by another person and flew three flights - off the winch.

The next morning's Daily Inspection found a collar was disengaged.

After some wriggling and pushing we got the collar reengaged.

We've flown this glider for a few years without this happening.

We will be checking every flight for a while.

Have any other G-103 pilots seen this?
Old June 3rd 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As I recall, there is a spring that keeps it in the locked position. Best to lock all 4 collars then pull forward on wing tips and re-tighten the forward sleeves, then pull aft on wing tips and re-tighten the aft sleeves. Check all springs inside collars.
JJ
Old June 4th 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnO[_2_]

On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 07:03:21 UTC+10, George Haeh wrote:
The glider was rigged, hookups checked by another person and flew three flights - off the winch.

The next morning's Daily Inspection found a collar was disengaged.

After some wriggling and pushing we got the collar reengaged.

We've flown this glider for a few years without this happening.

We will be checking every flight for a while.

Have any other G-103 pilots seen this?

Yes I have seen the the collar rotate a little after some flying on a few of that type. The retaining system of balls inside the collar do not disengage however the spiral lock to make the system firm backs off. There is a spring in the system to keep some pressure in the lock system.

Old June 4th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also, make sure all the balls are in the sleeves. Do this with the wings off, put your finger in the lift fittings and lock the sleeve which will force the balls down. You will be able to feel if a ball is missing. I have found a missing ball on annual inspection.
JJ
Old June 4th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Yes we have. I co-own a Grob 103 and taught in several others. Also owned a G102 many years ago. In my experience, I've seen this happen with cyclic fore/aft loading for example if the ship is tied out in windy conditions with some slop in the tiedowns. Also, if folks pull excessively from the wings to maneuver on the ground. As JJ mentions, it's usually possible to get all of the fittings more-or-less equal by loading fore then aft and turning the appropriate collars. There should be some friction in all 4 collars that prevents the pin/collar (there are two different sub-models) from turning without some reasonable force. If one (or more collars) can be turned with minimal force when the other 3 are engaged there is a problem. Either the through-tube is biased toward one side or one of the collars is damaged. See:

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/g-103-ad-...-conection.pdf
http://www.ltb-lindner.com/service-l...assemblies.pdf
Old June 4th 19, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Part of every preflight. Or else.
Old June 5th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Last winter Lindner issued us a new Flight Manual specifically for our serial.

After your helpful hints, I checked the new manual and found it now contains instructions to pull the wingtips back and forth while hand tightening the collars.

RTFNM

Replacing spherical bearings at the wing root? (Grob Astir CS) Movses Soaring 9 March 6th 15 09:39 PM
Grob 109 wing pins Bob Jenneson Soaring 6 April 11th 09 10:45 PM
Grob 109 wing pins BT Soaring 0 February 7th 09 05:05 AM
"Costly Flaws Found In Navy's Top Jet: Wing mechanism wear could halve flight hours" Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 6 May 18th 07 10:00 PM
Grob wing retainer bearings Tim Soaring 3 September 3rd 06 02:55 PM