Ideas for a commercial long x-c?

Old December 6th 05, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Ideas for a commercial long x-c?

I fly out of Hawthorne CA (KHHR) and would like to hear some ideas for a
250-mile cross country. This is to fulfull the long x-c requirement forr
the commercial license. I went up to Oakland this past summer, so I was
thinking something more easterly.

I'll be in a Cessna 172RG. I'm just going to fly out and back, departing
Hawthorne in the afternoon so the return leg will be at night and count
towards my 5 solo night hours.
Old December 6th 05, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Phoenix or Las Vegas, if the weather is good.

. 97.142...

Old December 6th 05, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I was gonna suggest LV also. Take a lot of quarters!

Old December 6th 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, do two different W&B worksheets. One for the amount of quarters
you'll be taking with you, and another for the amount you'll be taking
back!

Old December 6th 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately Las Vegas is only 203 miles
so it isn't far enough. Phoenix is 317 which is a little far... I'm
looking for something just over 250. I don't have charts for that area
yet, I gotta stop by the airport after work today.

Old December 6th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Unfortunately Las Vegas is only 203 miles
so it isn't far enough.

So, land further away, and then come back to Las Vegas, if that's your goal.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 6th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Yossarian" wrote in message
. 97.142...
I fly out of Hawthorne CA (KHHR) and would like to hear some ideas for a
250-mile cross country. This is to fulfull the long x-c requirement forr
the commercial license. I went up to Oakland this past summer, so I was
thinking something more easterly.

I'll be in a Cessna 172RG. I'm just going to fly out and back, departing
Hawthorne in the afternoon so the return leg will be at night and count
towards my 5 solo night hours.

Prescott, AZ (KPRC) ?

Not quite as far as Phoenix (but almost...)

Kingman, AZ is 231nm if flown direct but I bet you could bend your route
around some getting out of SoCal airspace and stretch it to 250.X ..

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old December 6th 05, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 6 Dec 2005 08:54:40 -0800, "Yossarian"
wrote in . com::

Unfortunately Las Vegas is only 203 miles so it isn't far enough.

Mesquite (67L) is about the right distance*, and a nice, modern, well
lit field near a VORTAC (located between KLAS and St. George).

http://www.airnav.com/airport/67L

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...0512/SW4TO.PDF
TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
MESQUITE, NV
MESQUITE
TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 1, 900-3, or std. with a min.
climb of 620' per NM to 2400.
DEPARTURE PROCEDU Rwy 1, climbing left turn,
Rwy 19, climbing right turn. All aircraft climb direct
MMM VORTAC. Aircraft departing MMM R-149 CW
R-220 climb on course. All others continue climb via
MMM R-196 to 6100 and reverse course to cross MMM
VORTAC at or above: R-221 CW R-270 and R-331 CW
R-060, 6100; R-271 CW R-330, 7300; R-061 CW
R-150, 8300.
24 NOV 2005 to 22 DEC 2005
24 NOV 2005 to 22 DEC 2005

* From KHHR- Jack Northrop Field/Hawthorne Municipal Airport
To 67L- Mesquite Airport:

272.6 nautical miles NE
Initial true course: 049

There won't be a full moon until the 15th:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html
Old December 6th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I thought cross country requirements were based on straight line
distance. I can wander around with the best of them, but that dosen't
count for cross country distance, does it?

John Stevens
Solo Student ~37 hours

Old December 6th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Fly from Hawthorne to some new departure point west or
southwest and then go to Las Vegas.

ups.com...