DEN to SNA via LAS

Old May 15th 05, 04:46 PM
Rich Raine

Default DEN to SNA via LAS

My friend and I are planning a flight in a new Cirrus 22. We intend to
leave Denver May 26 and would appreciate the groups thoughts as to possible
routing.

Is it practical to go a direct as possible? Or would the best advice be to
travel south then west to avoid crossing the mountains.

Any thoughts from those that have already made this journey would be
appreciated.

Rich Raine

Old May 15th 05, 05:49 PM
Blanche

You're in a Cirrus-22 (and assuming IFR) with service ceiling of
17.5 and cruise of over 180 kts.

1) Have you ever done the Denver-LAS-SNA trip in another aircraft?
Something besides a B737, of course.

2) Have you flown a Cirrus more than 10 hours?

3) Have either of you flown the Denver-LAS-SNA route IFR before?

The highest MEAs on the direct Denver-LAS are 14.6. Are you
comfortable in a single-engine (altho high performance) with 2-2.5K
feet between you and the pointy tops of the mountains? That's
a question only you can answer.

Old May 15th 05, 08:42 PM
Michael 182

"Rich Raine" wrote in message
My friend and I are planning a flight in a new Cirrus 22. We intend to
leave Denver May 26 and would appreciate the groups thoughts as to
possible routing.

Is it practical to go a direct as possible? Or would the best advice be
to travel south then west to avoid crossing the mountains.

With all the usual precautions regarding mountain flying, DEN direct LAS is
simple in that plane. My personal minimums include no IMC or night flight
west of Denver, but assuming VMC and no more than normal moderate
turbulence, I'd definitely go direct over the Rockies.

Given the altiude, clouds west of Denver in May often contain ice. Mornings
are usually much better than afternoons.

Michael