Glider Crash in CA

Old March 27th 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Glider Crash in CA

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:23:50 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Can't argue with that, Bob. ...And no offense taken. I was only

complaining about the hype and hysteria breathless type of reporting. Think

Joe Friday...

Right now we're in the middle of an incredible shift in the information economy. These days the "only the facts" kind of journalism that has prevailed in the past has much weaker currency in the marketplace of ideas--people can get all of the facts they need from the Internet. Of course, they can get a lot of drivel and misinformation as well, but that's a topic for a different day.

These days reporters are increasingly placed in the position of needing to include "value added" content like context, analysis, and commentary into their stories in order increase their perceived worth. So I would not look for reporting of fringe activities such as soaring to get any less breathless (more breathful?) in the near future.

But, yeah, I hear you, and I agree and sympathize.

Thanks again, Bob K.
Old March 28th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 3/27/2014 4:11 PM, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

Right now we're in the middle of an incredible shift in the information economy. These days the "only the facts" kind of journalism that has prevailed in the past has much weaker currency in the marketplace of ideas--people can get all of the facts they need from the Internet. Of course, they can get a lot of drivel and misinformation as well, but that's a topic for a different day.

These days reporters are increasingly placed in the position of needing to include "value added" content like context, analysis, and commentary into their stories in order increase their perceived worth. So I would not look for reporting of fringe activities such as soaring to get any less breathless (more breathful?) in the near future.

But, yeah, I hear you, and I agree and sympathize.

Thanks again, Bob K.

Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art.
Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle
Old March 28th 14, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Wow, this was certainly more than a landout gone bad.
Any chance we can learn what actually happened (other than NTSB report which is not likely to tell anything useful)?

Ramy
Old March 9th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Friday, March 28, 2014 at 12:34:40 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Wow, this was certainly more than a landout gone bad.
Any chance we can learn what actually happened (other than NTSB report which is not likely to tell anything useful)?

Ramy

So today I was flipping through Netflix trying to find something to watch. As I'm rolling through the selections the preview thumb nails are lagging behind a bit and suddenly a guy sitting in a glider with the canopy open flashes by. It takes me a bit to go back and find what show it was but I narrow it down to of all things, "The Celebrity Plastic Surgeons of Beverly Hills" So I dig deeper and find that Season 1 episode 3 "To Glide Or Not To Glide" and episode 4 "Crash Landing" both have multiple camera angles and shots of this crash and rescue. Dr. Amron tries to get get his other Dr buddies to go along for glider rides. He's the first to go but doesn't make it back to the airport as he was in the front seat during this crash. The pilot appears to get too low behind a ridge to get back to the airport and can't dig out. As the terrain gets closer you can very clearly see the wings slowly rocking back and forth seeming to indicate flying too slow and then a stall and spin to the left. The stick inputs are easily seen from the external camera view. It appears to have been about one full turn before impact. They both were extremely lucky on multiple levels. I imagine the NTSB has more video evidence of this crash than just about any other glider crash before.

If you have Netflix I suggest you find these episodes and watch them. It's not very often we have in cockpit video evidence of a stall/spin crash to learn from. It's even better that both the occupants survived and we are able to learn from a non fatal crash. Have the remote nearby as you will want to Fast Forward through all the non glider filler and rewind to watch the glider portions in real time and slow motion.

The pilot's NTSB doesn't seem to match up with the video that well.

NTSB Identification: WPR14CA138
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, March 15, 2014 in Wrightwood, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 06/05/2014
Aircraft: DG FLUGZEUGBAU GMBH DG 1000S, registration: N624RM
Injuries: 1 Minor, 1 Uninjured.
NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot stated that the purpose of the flight was for him to take his cousin, the sole passenger, around the local ski area. After departure, the glider was towed to about 9,000 feet mean sea level (msl) and adjacent to the ski area. The pilot maneuvered the glider in a 300-degree turn to the right and realized that he was at a lower altitude than the ridge. He continued toward the ridge in an effort to gain lift off of the canyons. As the glider continued to lose altitude, it descended below 6,000 feet msl and the pilot began to look for terrain that would be favorable for an off-airport landing. After deciding on a location, the pilot deployed the airbrakes and with the glider about 10 to 15 feet above ground level (agl), he intentionally stalled. The glider mushed into the ground with little horizontal speed. During the accident sequence the glider incurred substantial damage to the tail boom and wings.

The pilot reported no pre impact mechanical malfunctions or failures with the glider that would have precluded normal operation.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's inadequate in-flight planning/decision to maneuver the glider where the lift was not sufficient to maintain flight, resulting in an off airport landing.
Old March 10th 16, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:56:49 AM UTC-7, Tom (2N0) wrote:
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ear-wrightwood

Glad everyone is okay!

This is a curious accident in regards to the pilot decision making. He was probably no further away than 18 nm from Llano (the distance to Mt. Baldy, the highest peak in the area). This translates into 2,500 ft for a glide back, or about 6,000 MSL. Why didn't he just glide back to Llano? Also, this is a sustainer - why didn't he try to start the engine?
Bizarre.
Old March 10th 16, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 8:28:32 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:56:49 AM UTC-7, Tom (2N0) wrote:
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ear-wrightwood

Glad everyone is okay!

This is a curious accident in regards to the pilot decision making. He was probably no further away than 18 nm from Llano (the distance to Mt. Baldy, the highest peak in the area). This translates into 2,500 ft for a glide back, or about 6,000 MSL. Why didn't he just glide back to Llano? Also, this is a sustainer - why didn't he try to start the engine?
Bizarre.

A DG-1000S is not a sustainer.
Old March 10th 16, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

18nm glide for 2,500'height loss = glide angle of 43 with no reserve.
Old March 10th 16, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

The pilot's NTSB doesn't seem to match up with the video that well.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's inadequate in-flight planning/decision to maneuver the glider where the lift was not sufficient to maintain flight, resulting in an off airport landing.

I agree, the pilots statement and NTSB determination do not seem to match up what I saw in the video either. I guess I will have to remember if I happen to fubar and walk away, I will have to say it was a planned off airport landing and I intentionally stalled.
Old March 10th 16, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 8:03:48 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:

The pilot's NTSB doesn't seem to match up with the video that well.

Plastic Surgeon needed to save face.
Old March 10th 16, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

He was not in control at all the final 20 seconds. They are very lucky to have survived spinning into the terrain they did and walk away. I assume the NTSB probably had no clue this footage existed when the report was written and I doubt most TV shows wait two years before airing footage. Guessing the show held it back until the report was finalized. Though I don't believe they mention it in the show, the pilot was supposedly the passengers cousin. He held a private glider license with 200 hours. Guessing they thought it was a cool idea to go shoot a glider flight up in the mountains and he lacked the experience to do it successfully.

Glider Crash in Shirley, NY [email protected] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 09:23 PM
Littlefield, Tx Glider Crash LongJourney Soaring 2 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM
Glider Crash - Minden? Mitch Soaring 141 September 13th 06 07:31 PM
Scottish Glider Crash Mike the Strike Soaring 22 July 16th 06 11:00 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM