PIREPS / airliners

Old January 20th 05, 03:58 PM

Default PIREPS / airliners

Why don't airliners give PIREPS (pilot weather reports)? I'm out there
spending my time and money and not getting the service i'd like from
flight service and yet they want my PIREPS. Seems like this is just
another squeeze on GA to give and give and get nothing back. The only
reason i'd do it is to help other GA.

forecasters benefit more than anyone when i do it.

HH

Old January 20th 05, 04:14 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:58:06 -0500, wrote in
::

Why don't airliners give PIREPS (pilot weather reports)?

What makes you think airline pilots don't give PIREPS?
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/pireps/index.php
Old January 20th 05, 04:24 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Why don't airliners give PIREPS (pilot weather reports)? I'm out there
spending my time and money and not getting the service i'd like from
flight service and yet they want my PIREPS. Seems like this is just
another squeeze on GA to give and give and get nothing back. The only
reason i'd do it is to help other GA.

forecasters benefit more than anyone when i do it.

Airline pilots do give PIREPs.

Old January 20th 05, 09:15 PM
Withheld By Request

They do.

Or at least I think that's where those frequently seen MD80, B737, B767,
etc. aircraft types are coming from. Not necessarily all from FL350, either.

Regards,
Withheld

Old January 21st 05, 02:37 AM
Matt Barrow

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...
I see airliner pireps on tops and ceilings pretty regularly.

IIRC, many airline flight departments get them from the flight crews and
then the reports are passed on as PIREPS.

I also recall that some airlines are specially "charged" with providing
regular reports particularly Winds Aloft.