How safe is a new teenaged pilot?

Old May 13th 05, 04:35 AM
Gary Drescher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:k4Vge.77243$WI3.40856@attbi_s71...
There are very good reasons that car insurance for 17 year old boys costs
exponentially more than for adults.

Does aviation insurance cost any more for 17-year-olds than for adults?

Old May 13th 05, 04:39 AM
Jay Honeck

There are very good reasons that car insurance for 17 year old boys costs
exponentially more than for adults.

Does aviation insurance cost any more for 17-year-olds than for adults?

Actually, it will cost less to put my son on our flight insurance than it
will to add him to our 8-year old Subaru insurance. (The insurance agent
only laughed when we asked about adding him to our Mustang convertible...
;-)

I'm hoping that this says that teenage pilots are better than teenage
drivers.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 13th 05, 04:56 AM
Guy Elden Jr

I'm hoping that this says that teenage pilots are better than teenage
drivers.

I think with the amount of time, effort, and money put toward earning a
private pilot certificate that one gains more of a sense of ownership
of that privelege than one does when "earning" a driver's license. Most
kids think of a dl as an entitlement, a rite of passage. Doubtful they
look upon flying with the same carefree attitude.

Still, you're right about the youthful indiscretions, but I wouldn't be
too quick to judge _all_ 17 year boys by that standard. I certainly
never took risks when driving at that age, but I consider myself more
the boring exception to the rule.

Old May 13th 05, 05:01 AM

Just make sure that they don't try flying across one of the great
lakes, especially at night.

Old May 13th 05, 05:03 AM
BTIZ

would you trust the two of them together in a sports car?
BT

"anon" wrote in message
news
Our 17 year old son want to fly as a passenger with his 17 year old friend
who
is a brand new pilot. We think the boy is level-headed and mature. He
grew up
flying with his dad who is a retired test pilot for an aircraft
manufacturer.

These credentials not withstanding, I'm guessing that there is increased
risk
of accidents with new pilots. We are uncomfortable about letting him fly
with
his friend, but we want to be reasonable.

I would appreciate any data or guidance this group could provide.

Thanks

Peter

Old May 13th 05, 05:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Still, you're right about the youthful indiscretions, but I wouldn't be
too quick to judge _all_ 17 year boys by that standard. I certainly
never took risks when driving at that age, but I consider myself more
the boring exception to the rule.

I was an exceptionally cautious driver at age 17, too.

But that's only because at age 15 I stole my mother's car, and went joy
riding with three friends -- one of whom proceeded to wrap that car around
an oak tree.

It was a grave, nearly fatal lesson to be learned, the hard way, indeed...
And one I hope no one else ever has to learn.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 13th 05, 05:04 AM
Grumman-581

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message news
Gosh, why limit it to flying? Why not insist on video surveillance

whenever
he's in a car, or for that matter any time he's with friends and might
engage in dangerous drug use or unprotected sex? Or better yet, be sure to
accompany him in person whenever he goes out. Preferably attached by a
handcuff, in case he tries to slip away. You can never be too careful with
17-year-olds.

Good suggestion, but the original question was about flying... One would
suspect that he's already taken appropriate measures for the other things in
life that cause him concern...

Old May 13th 05, 05:04 AM
Grumman-581

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:bkVge.74706$r53.48513@attbi_s21...
I'm hoping that this says that teenage pilots are better than teenage
drivers.

Or the sample size is not large enough for the insurace companies to draw
meaningful statistics... Frankly, there's probably not a high percentage of
teenage pilots... Flying is expensive and most teenagers don't have the
money to do it... On top of that, most don't have the perseverance to
complete something as lengthy as getting a PPL anyway...

Old May 13th 05, 05:33 AM
Roger

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:22:24 -0400, "Gary Drescher"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:
The standard reference for small-plane safety statistics is the Air
Safety Foundation's Nall Report
(http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/03nall.pdf). As far as I know,
there are no good statistics about the safety of new pilots vs.
more-experienced pilots.

That report includes the statement that "ASF studies have shown that low
pilot time in type is often a significant contributing factor in
accidents." But I didn't see any specific data there to back it up.

Yup. Plus, low time in type is different from being recently licensed as a
pilot.

"It seems" as if I read some where a freshly minted pilot is one of
the safest times, but ... that is an old and foggy memory.

One of the worst times is some where around 500 hours.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

The accompanying chart plots a histogram of accidents vs. PIC hours of
experience but unfortunately doesn't normalize it to the number of pilots
in each band and the number of hours flown by them.

Yup. Paul Craig's book The Killing Zone has the same problem. Without
normalization, the data tell us nothing about how safety might vary as a
function of experience.

--Gary