Printing off Jepp charts: What paper do you use?

Old January 21st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Printing off Jepp charts: What paper do you use?

Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
amendment filing service to JeppView.

I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
they were.

For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?

--
Peter
Old January 21st 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Peter R. wrote:
Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
amendment filing service to JeppView.

I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
they were.

For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?

I print mine using a laser printer. Or, for some where I feel the color
is important I use my inkjet printer.

The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
them a whole lot easier to read.
Old January 21st 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message ...

I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
they were.

For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?
--
Peter

I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,
and use ordinary printer paper.
If Jepp sold their high-quality "bible paper", I'd definitely buy it, though.

You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

Old January 21st 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:

I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,
and use ordinary printer paper.
If Jepp sold their high-quality "bible paper", I'd definitely buy it,
though.

You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

I purchase Jepp-size paper from Day-Timer http://www.daytimer.com/ and
stock #20581
Desk White Computer Paper - 200 Sheets
List Price: $15.00

It's a tad pricey although each sheet is two Jepp-size and prepunched for
Jepp Binders. Weight is about 18#

Several years ago, I stopped by Jeppesen in Colorado and they were nice
enough to give me a ream of the actual paper used. Unfortunately, most
computer printers won't handle the paper of such light weight.

Old January 21st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 1/21/2006 2:20 PM, John Godwin wrote the following:
"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:

I use Jeppesen's 7-hole-prepunched paper, for no very good reason.
When I finish my current pack, I think I'll buy a 7-hole punch,

FranklinCovey.com sells a very nice "Jepp Punch" for $20. Good quality, steel,
and less bulky than the ones Sporty's and Jepp sell for $50+/-.

I print my plates (NACO) two-up, two sided, then cut the paper in half and punch it.

The FinePrint printer driver
(http://fineprint.com/products/fineprint/benefits.html) is a terrific tool for
this and also for printing PDF manuals into 5.5 x 8.5 booklets. Well worth the
$50 it costs and there is an unlimited free trial period. It works with any app,
so it may be a help with whatever problems there are with printing from the Jepp
software too.

Old January 22nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 06:22:57 -0800, wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
Looks like Jeppesen is finally dropping their prices on JeppView and no
longer penalizing for convenience. Thus, over the next week I am going to
switch from the paper Airway Manual and that time-consuming, every two-week
amendment filing service to JeppView.

I remember reading that there are many cost-effective alternatives to
Jepp's own properly sized and punched paper but I don't recall now what
they were.

For those who print off their charts, what paper do you use?

I print mine using a laser printer. Or, for some where I feel the color
is important I use my inkjet printer.

The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
them a whole lot easier to read.

What's this about lower prices for JeppView?

I just went to their website and the current pricing for my coverages
(Eastern US & Eastern Canada) seems to be $68 higher than what I paid last
October! And yes, I included only the revision services, not the initial
services.

Where did you find lower pricing?

Thanks.

Oh, I use a color laser printer for the charts and have printed both on
Jepp prepunched paper, as well as good quality laser printer white paper
using a 7-hole punch. Either works OK for the charts I print frequently,
but I'm using up the supply of Jepp paper I purchased initially.

When I print a lot of charts for a long trip, I just print it on regular
paper and don't bother to bind it.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Where did you find lower pricing?

As it was explained to me on the phone a couple of days ago, the discounted
price is part of a package deal Jeppesen is now calling the "NAV Suite."

Currently, I purchase Garmin GNS430 updates (28-day cycle over the
Internet), Airway Manual services (Northeast US paper), and FlightStar IFR
updates (three times a year over the Internet) from Jeppeson.

Starting this year, they are now offering a discount pricing scheme called
"Nav Suite" for those who purchase all individual products. Jepp may even
offer a discount for those who purchase a subset of these individual
packages, but I didn't ask.

Call Jeppesen on Monday and ask them about this.

--
Peter
Old January 22nd 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"John R. Copeland" wrote:

You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that I'm displeased with the Jepp
software's poor ability to choose which charts print back-to-back.

Ok, let me ask :-), could you share any other pros and cons about the
software? I'll be honest that the lack of an ability to print front and
back does not outweigh the time spent filing those once-every-two-week
paper updates.

--
Peter
Old January 22nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:

The main objective for me is getting the chart on 8.5 x 11 paper. Makes
them a whole lot easier to read.

Thanks, Tim. I still use a narrow yoke board to hold approach plates in my
Bonanza, so 8.5 x 11 will be too big for that. But, now that I am over 40
I can understand the desire for larger print.

--
Peter