Tube wing spars

Old March 17th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Tube wing spars

Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.

So if you know of any I'd like to know what they are.
Old March 17th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 17, 4:41 pm, wrote:
Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.

So if you know of any I'd like to know what they are.

Kitfox/Avid Flyer. Lots of ultralights.

Dan
Old March 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

wrote ...
Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.

German V-1 Buzz Bomb. Thousands of them were made and took off. Oddly,
none of them made good landings.

Rich

Actually, Germany test pilot Hanna Reich flew one to find a stability
problem and landed successfully.

Old March 18th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

On Mar 17, 8:46 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Rip wrote:
wrote:

Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.

So if you know of any I'd like to know what they are.

Grumman Tiger, Cheetah, et al.

These are outgrowth of Bede.

Dan Denney I think used a custom center web tube extrusion, a tube
with a center web essentially.

Who used D-cell (not the battery, a shaped forward airfoil section)
spars?
Old March 18th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 17, 7:16 pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:

Who used D-cell (not the battery, a shaped forward airfoil section)
spars?

Lots of helicopter blades.

Dan
Old March 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 18, 12:24 am, Ernest Christley wrote:
wrote:
Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.

So if you know of any I'd like to know what they are.

Dyke Delta uses a welded truss made 4130 tube...each section's
crossmembers were of a different size.

Ah but in terms of stress/strain, a truss is closer to
an I-beam than it is to a single tube.

Unless of course it is a very peculiar truss.

--

FF
Old March 20th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:
Actually I'm interested also to know if any other designs besides BD
aircraft utilize wing spars that are made of aluminum tube.
So if you know of any I'd like to know what they are.
Dyke Delta uses a welded truss made 4130 tube...each section's
crossmembers were of a different size.

Ah but in terms of stress/strain, a truss is closer to
an I-beam than it is to a single tube.

Unless of course it is a very peculiar truss.

Nope. About as straightforward as they come.

http://ernest.is-a-geek.org/Delta/Pictures/Wing1.jpg

That image appears to be 404 compliant.

Does the truss really have a circular cross-section?

If so, why?

--

FF

Woodstock spars MartyH Soaring 11 June 22nd 07 03:13 AM
composite wing, wing spars Dave Schneider Home Built 4 May 21st 04 05:35 AM
Fuel Dip Tube for Hershey-bar Wing Cherokees? Bob Chilcoat Owning 3 May 3rd 04 10:29 PM
Titanium spars and composites on F-22 Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 1 December 4th 03 03:21 PM
S-H Spars: Anyone check for voids laterally? Mark Grubb Soaring 1 September 20th 03 04:27 AM