Plexiglass protective paper

Old December 12th 05, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Plexiglass protective paper

Anybody had any experience Peeling Protective Paper from
Plexiglass??---When it's old & dried out---everything I've used to try
to soften the old glue also softens the plexi & leaves it with an
orange-peel finish. I have several 12" sq pieces, the center will
finally come once you get out there, but the edges are no-luck.

Thanks in advance

Jerry
Old December 12th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
jerry wass wrote:

Anybody had any experience Peeling Protective Paper from
Plexiglass??---When it's old & dried out---everything I've used to try
to soften the old glue also softens the plexi & leaves it with an
orange-peel finish. I have several 12" sq pieces, the center will
finally come once you get out there, but the edges are no-luck.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Try either denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol. They will soften the
adhesive and will not harm the plexiglass.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old December 12th 05, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"jerry wass" wrote in message
Anybody had any experience Peeling Protective Paper from
Plexiglass??---When it's old & dried out---everything I've used to try
to soften the old glue also softens the plexi & leaves it with an
orange-peel finish. I have several 12" sq pieces, the center will
finally come once you get out there, but the edges are no-luck.

Thanks in advance

Oh, you poor sole! BTDT !!!

The only thing I have had any luck with, is getting a beer or three, putting
some music on, and getting ready to have lots of patience. If you have more
money than time, get a new piece.

Some very hot water and a big squirt of liquid dishwashing detergent may
help to loosen the bonds a little, but expect no miracles.

I have never tried cigarette lighter fluid on plexi. Does it mess with the
finish? That is always my solution to weaken old glue. Also "goof off"
glue remover may help, but I have never tried it on plexi. It is in the
painting section at hardware stores.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 13th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Ken Moffett" wrote

Do not use denatured alcohal to soak off paper from Plexiglas. I've had it
craze very badly from exposure to alchol. I had a Plexiglass cylinder that
some one filled with ethonal, and in a short time it fractured all over

and
fell apart.

Rubbing alcohol is methanol. Big difference from ethanol. That said, I
have no idea if methanol will harm plexi.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 13th 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Do not use denatured alcohal to soak off paper from Plexiglas. I've had it
craze very badly from exposure to alchol. I had a Plexiglass cylinder that
some one filled with ethonal, and in a short time it fractured all over

and
fell apart.

Rubbing alcohol is methanol. Big difference from ethanol. That said,
have no idea if methanol will harm plexi.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Also "denatured" alcohol at the local hardware store can be denatured
with just about anything of which the BATF approves - like acetone,
toluene, and other solvents. Makes for some costly surprises if you
don't test first..........
====================
Leon McAtee

Old December 13th 05, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Anybody had any experience Peeling Protective Paper from
Plexiglass

If you're really serious, try this stuff -- www.dsr5.com
It's designed for what you are doing.

Old December 13th 05, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Most rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol but it can also be denatured
alcohol (ethanol with some bitter substance added to decrease the chances of
it being drunk). I am not aware of any rubbing alcohol having methanol.
Methanol is very toxic - causes blindness and death. Methanol is commonly
used as an antifreeze in windshield washer fluid (note the poison labels).

Jerry in NC

Old December 13th 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ron Webb wrote:
Anybody had any experience Peeling Protective Paper from
Plexiglass

If you're really serious, try this stuff -- www.dsr5.com
It's designed for what you are doing.

It looks like one of the citrus based terpenes; d-Limonene or the
like.

Other stuff worth trying "Citra-Solve". Basically anything that says
it's flammable and smells like lemons.

Paper Cutter Mike Rapoport Home Built 3 August 23rd 05 07:10 PM
SSA CRC Mandatory ELT Position Paper Posted - SRA Site Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 9 January 18th 05 03:52 AM
You can now buy inkjet decal paper by the sheet Charlotte Gaisford Home Built 0 November 8th 04 01:59 PM
Tracking the Elusive Tracing Paper Veeduber Home Built 18 August 30th 04 12:53 PM
Looking for sand paper rolls and adhesive Roger Halstead Home Built 9 August 8th 03 08:58 AM