HUD view of a near-miss

Old December 12th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Weiss

Default HUD view of a near-miss

"Ross Richardson" wrote...

I was once flying over Lake Texoma in North Central Texas at 2500'
( ground elevation is ~ 750') and 3 C-130s went UNDER me. That was
interesting.

I was coasting in (south TX, late 70s) on a published low-level route where
it crossed another one. I was in an A-4 at 500' or so, and a B-52 passed
under me.

There also used to be a segment of another route in NV (early 90s) where 2
routes ran in opposite directions. They were supposed to be deconflicted by
the controlling agency, but it didn't always work. I was in an A-6 at 200'
and passed under 1 A-10 going the other way (really -- they weren't JUST
slow!) and abeam his wingman.

Old December 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
xyzzy

Ross Richardson wrote:
wrote:

Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

We recently had the safety officer from Sheppard AFB come to our EAA
meeting talking about the IR/VR low level routes and all the SUA around
the airbase. Then he showed several videos (including this clip). Scary
and one clip was a mid-air. I was once flying over Lake Texoma in North
Central Texas at 2500' ( ground elevation is ~ 750') and 3 C-130s went
UNDER me. That was interesting.

While climbing out of KSOP, as I passed through about 1500 feet a
flight of three A-10's went under me -- I was about 5 miles outside the
Ft. Bragg restricted area at the time. I thought it was kinda
interesting that they didn't make any radio calls as they basically
blew through the traffic pattern of the airport. When I got on the
radio to warn other pilots they were coming through, THEN they made
radio calls.

Old December 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Frank Stutzman

In rec.aviation.owning John Weiss wrote:

I was coasting in (south TX, late 70s) on a published low-level route where
it crossed another one. I was in an A-4 at 500' or so, and a B-52 passed
under me.

Since we are telling war stories here...

A friend of mine flew A-6s in several Red Flag exercises. He has several such near
miss stories. I think the best was when he was running along at about 500' agl
when he had a F-16 (F-15?) overtake him from below and then immediately pull up in
an immelmann turn in front of him.

During the de-briefing, the other pilot was asked about this maneuver and why he
did it. Basically, he was focused on what he was doing and never saw the A-6,
before, during, or after his turn.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 12th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark

scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Old December 12th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dan[_2_]

Mark wrote:
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Not if no one filed an incident report.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Darkwing

"Mark" wrote in message
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

What about a NASA form?

----------------------------------
DW

Old December 12th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Dan wrote:
Mark wrote:
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Not if no one filed an incident report.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Why? Happens all the time and neither A/C was doing anything wrong.
Civilians tend to 'report' way more often than the military, IMO. I got
'reported' when in VX-4, doing a missilex profile practice in the MOAs
east of Mugu(Owens Valley)...some civilian(Cessna 172) was wandering
around, legally, and I flew close to her to let her know we were there
and 'maybe' it would be a good idea if she did sightseeing somewhere
else. I didn't even get that close to her BUT I was pointing at her,
passed her 180 degrees out...kinda fast, wings were back.....she called
the FAA..they splained the situation.

Old December 13th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

While training routes have obvious dangers, interlopers sometimes also breeze through active Restricted Areas.

During VA-95's workups prior to its 1973 cruise, Pizza Pentimonti and I were out laying MK-76s into the evil commie bus hulks infesting the Boardman target area. During the run-in for our third or fourth pass, some bozo in a 172 comes toodling north right across our run-in line about 500' below us. We saw him and pulled up just as he passed under our big A-6 nose. After assessing the state of our laundry, we called the incident in to Seattle Center, who then painted him in to Yakima.

Turned out this was not the first time this twit had messed up. We learned later that the Administrator pulled the guy's ticket.

--
Mike Kanze

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

- Benjamin Franklin

"John" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:58:13 GMT, wrote:

Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.

Graphic illustration of the dangers of low-level navigation.
Unfortunately, though these routes are published, most civil pilots
either are not aware of them or just ignore them.

Back in the 70's, My student and I nearly collided with a helo over
the gulf somewhere east of Victora TX in a TA-4J. We were at 500' MSL
on a published, highly used low-level navigation training route. When
I called FSS about the near-miss, they told me that the helos flying
to the rigs seldom filed flight plans and never talked to them. They
also told me that they nearly always flew at 500-1000' - which was
within the published altitudes for that route!

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Old December 13th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Byron Myers

xyzzy wrote:

Ross Richardson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I noticed your user name and had to reply. I bet there are not too
many people know its origin.
Are you showing your age? (plugh)

Byron
Old December 14th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:11:15 -0500, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

wrote in message
t...
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

That was about as close as it gets without aluminum scraps flying.

It can get closer.
Many years back as a student I was landing a Piper Colt on 36. A
Comanche was flying the express way East to West. The end of 18/36 is
about as close to the road as it can get. That would put me at 300
feet or less at that point. There is an over pass about a city block
to my left (West).
The Comanche not only went under us and had to pull up a bit for the
over pass, he put the top of his vertical stab less than a foot below
us. I had this flash and the impression of looking at rivets.
He was past us before either the instructor or I jumped and we have
fast reaction times. The speeds may have been way less, but the mess
would have been just about as bad.

DW

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com