Another weird YouTube plane video

Old February 1st 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Another weird YouTube plane video

Stefan wrote in news:c8bc5$47a30104$54497f22
:

Bertie the Bunyip schrieb:

Well, I believe you make the approach from mre or less level flight.

You believe wrongly.

There are those who comment about piloting without ever having piloted a
real plane, and then there are those who comment about alitports withot
ever having seen one in real.

Yeh stefan, you've trolled me good there.

Flown into Meribel or Courcheval, have you?

Tell us all about it.

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Stefan wrote in news:56f48$47a30135$54497f22
:

Bertie the Bunyip schrieb:

I believe the same applies for Courcheval.

I couldn't find any youtube stuff on it.

Correct spelling would certainly help.

Oooh freche meat.

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

Bertie the Bunyip schrieb:

There are those who comment about piloting without ever having piloted a
real plane, and then there are those who comment about alitports withot
ever having seen one in real.

Yeh stefan, you've trolled me good there.

Flown into Meribel or Courcheval, have you?

Yes. Courchevel, Meribel, Alpe d'Huez. Actually, it isn't that hard if
you're used to fly in mountains, to spot landings and have some
knowledge of local wind systems. And being mainly a glider pilot, the
lack of a go around option isn't a real issue, either.

Tell us all about it.

No. But if you're really interested, nothing prevents you to gain an
"autorisation de site", i.e. the sign-off for one of those alitports. If
you're reasonably current, three hours would should be plenty enough.
One of the clubs below will be happy to help you:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/aeroclub-courchevel/
http://www.adgs.com/C/
http://www.aeroclub-meribel.com/
Old February 1st 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Stefan wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip schrieb:

There are those who comment about piloting without ever having
piloted a real plane, and then there are those who comment about
alitports withot ever having seen one in real.

Yeh stefan, you've trolled me good there.

Flown into Meribel or Courcheval, have you?

Yes. Courchevel, Meribel, Alpe d'Huez. Actually, it isn't that hard if
you're used to fly in mountains, to spot landings and have some
knowledge of local wind systems. And being mainly a glider pilot, the
lack of a go around option isn't a real issue, either.

Tell us all about it.

No.

Aww, busy counting teeth?

But if you're really interested, nothing prevents you to gain an
"autorisation de site", i.e. the sign-off for one of those alitports.
If you're reasonably current, three hours would should be plenty
enough. One of the clubs below will be happy to help you:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/aeroclub-courchevel/
http://www.adgs.com/C/
http://www.aeroclub-meribel.com/

I just might.

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Old February 1st 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

Ok, I've just found a picture. This is what you see from the cockpit
when you're lined up and ready to firewall the throttle:
http://home.balcab.ch/~stefan/public/Courchevel.jpeg
As you can see, departing from Courcevel is at leas as interesting a
feeling as landing, at least the first time.

The picture also shows that it's really imprtant to know and adhere to
the procedures, an airplane in departing position and one in short final
can't see each other. This alone is reason enough for the need of a
sing-off.

BTW, Courchevel is not the most difficult altiport by far, but it's the
steepest (18% slope). It's also the only which is free from snow in
winter. (But you pay for it with a real high winter landing fee!
Landings in summer are free, though.)
Old February 1st 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Stefan wrote in news:1402c$47a30a26$54497f22
:

Ok, I've just found a picture. This is what you see from the cockpit
when you're lined up and ready to firewall the throttle:
http://home.balcab.ch/~stefan/public/Courchevel.jpeg
As you can see, departing from Courcevel is at leas as interesting a
feeling as landing, at least the first time.

The picture also shows that it's really imprtant to know and adhere to
the procedures, an airplane in departing position and one in short final
can't see each other. This alone is reason enough for the need of a
sing-off.

They yodel at you before you go flying?
Colourful!

Bertie
Old February 1st 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
AJ

On Jan 31, 7:05 pm, "gatt" wrote:
Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Awesome landing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

Are those comments supposed to indicate a sense of humor? Sounds like
a bigot to me.
Old February 1st 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_2_]

"James Sleeman" wrote in message
On Feb 1, 1:05 pm, "gatt" wrote:

Awesome landing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

That's not an emergency landing.
This is an emergency landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SL-C...3D0&index= 85

Nice one. I wish the video would have shown the damage to the airplane.

-c

Old February 1st 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

On Jan 31, 10:05 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:
I took a Turbo C-206 out of a 2200' grass strip (Branson Field) on a hillside
that led downhill directly to Lake Norman in the Pidmont of North Carolina.
There was a storage building right at the edge of the water so you needed to be
a good 15 feet in the air as you crossed the shoreline. All takeoffs were
downhill; all landings were uphill, no matter what the wind was doing. There
were trees on both sides but the strip was a good 200 feet wide so you didn't
feel horned in.

I'd never flown a 206 of any kind before and had no checkout. I did have a few
hundred hours in C-210s so I didn't feel completely out of place. So I cranked
it up, did my runup at the top of the hill and poured the coal to it. The
damned seat slid to the rear of its travel!

Talk about a wild ride down the hill towards that storage building. Stopping
was not an option. I was stretched out trying to keep my feet on the rudder
pedals so I couldn't see where I was going. At what I hoped was the correct
time, I staggered into the air and leveled off as soon as I could so that I
could slide the seat back forward.

All I can say is I was glad nobody saw me. I started paying a lot more
attention to the seat locking in the track after that.

And that's why Cessna requires a placard on the panel
stating that the pilot must make sure that the seats are positively
locked, and why the FAA has an airworthiness directive against those
rails and locks:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...0?OpenDocument
I've seen some pretty ratty rails and seat locks. It's a wonder
there aren't more accidents. The biggest lawsuit in civil aviation
history was due to those stupid things. IIRC, it was a 185 on floats
that reared up right after takeoff, stalled and crashed when the
pilot's seat slid back and he reflexively pulled back on the column.
The seat locks and rails were all shot, but the jury awarded the
plaintiff (the estate?) $450 million anyway. Textron appealed and I
think it'll be in the courts forever. The whole idea that there was a
lawsuit I find annoying, considering that the owner was the pilot,
IIRC, and the owner, by law, is responsible for the proper maintenance
of the airplane. A classic example of why aviation costs so much.

Dan