If yiu didn't fight in WW II.....

Old February 28th 04, 04:26 PM
Christopher Morton

On 27 Feb 2004 16:30:35 GMT, (OXMORON1) wrote:

Art wrote:
Colin Powell said it, Not me. I guess he is the insulting old ****. Right?

Art, you have been asked to consider and clarify the time period that Powell
was talking about and you refuse to do so.
You are painting a couple of hundred years of the Militia with one broad stroke
(based on Powell's referal IIRC to a brief time frame of about 6 to 10 years).
The fact that some people (some not all) used the Guard as an avoidance of what
they considered an idiotic war is insulting to a lot of people who did their
job.
I wouldn't call you an insulting old f#*k, but at times you can be a
belligerent ass.
This time you are being a belligerent ass in the first degree.
And yes contacts help even in the advertizing business. You ever use any
influence? Ever call your Senator or Representative? Ever ask for a favor?
Next time I am going to ask for a clerk's job in MACV HQ or go for Club officer
at the local aerodrome.

My last day on active duty at Ft. Knox in 1984, I was walking out of
the US Army Armor and Engineer Board, on the way to drive to the
Officer's Club for a last drink with a friend. An old guy and his
wife (he thought I was an EM because he didn't recognize subdued
insignia) asked me to take a picture of him in front of a static
monument armored vehicle. It turned out that he'd been in the
Philippines in December 1941 in a National Guard tank batallion.
Really nice old guy, and pretty cheerful for somebody who survived the
Bataan Death March....

--
More blood for oil... in my name!
Old February 28th 04, 04:27 PM
Christopher Morton

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:46:50 -0600, "D. Strang"
wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote

As Colin Powell said:

"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and
well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National
Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

Only a black man would think like that.

or have reason to?

--
More blood for oil... in my name!
Old February 28th 04, 04:49 PM
Ed Majden

"ArtKramr"

The USSBS was an economic analysis of STRATEGIC bombing. That is heavy

bombers
working from 22,000 feet under very difficult conditions. We were tactical
bombers, medium bombers working from 8-10,000 feet which gave us near

point
blank accuracy. A totally different set of conditions than the strategic
operations.

Low level as compared to the B17. What about the RAF 617 Squadron
flying heavy bombers, Lancasters, at 60 feet. Now that's what I call low
level bombing!
Ed

Old February 28th 04, 04:59 PM
Grantland

Christopher Morton wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:46:50 -0600, "D. Strang"
wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote

"
Only a black man would think like that.

or have reason to?

Take a look at Haiti. In his "I Have a Dream" speech Dr. King said:
"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation
where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the
content of their character." Yes. Subhumans. Forget about skin
color.

Grantland
Old February 28th 04, 05:13 PM
Brian Colwell

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message
I was a little too young to care much about cars in those days. Not only

that,
but there was a depression going on and my family couldn't afford the $300

or
$400 that one of those would have cost.

Yeah, I know. You're just funnin' me, and that's OK too. There's still a
helluva lot that went on that we old farts can remember that you "young"

pups
don't know squat about.......Baby!

Smile.....you're on Candid Camera. (*-*)))

George Z.

D. Strang wrote:
Yea Baby! What was it like when the 32 Ford showed up at the

dealership?

"George Z. Bush" wrote

I was born in 1923 and, when I was a kid, I was hugely interested in
everything I could get my hands on about WWI. To this day, I can

probably
dredge up details about various land battles that today's youngsters

don't
even have a clue about.

George Z.

George, Anyone who made that statement, you can bet has never been in harms
way !!!!

BMC

Old February 28th 04, 05:18 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Presidente Alcazar" wrote in
message ...

His personal contribution to WW2 exists independently of all the
ephemeral usenet bitching, even when he is a primary instigator of the
same bitching.

Art's trolls are the price of his participation.

Kevin Brooks trolls are the price of not killfiling him.

Old February 28th 04, 05:33 PM
Andrew Chaplin

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote:

In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
If you didn't fight in WW II do you feel as though your had missed something?
Do you feel that given your druthers you'd rather have been there than not? Any
regrets at having missed it? Anyone?

Having heard the descriptions of that war from my father (coast defence
during summer 1940, including Cromwell,

What sort of coast defence organization was your father in, Andy?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old February 28th 04, 06:21 PM
Ron

My last day on active duty at Ft. Knox in 1984, I was walking out of
the US Army Armor and Engineer Board, on the way to drive to the
Officer's Club for a last drink with a friend. An old guy and his
wife (he thought I was an EM because he didn't recognize subdued
insignia) asked me to take a picture of him in front of a static
monument armored vehicle. It turned out that he'd been in the
Philippines in December 1941 in a National Guard tank batallion.
Really nice old guy, and pretty cheerful for somebody who survived the
Bataan Death March....

There were many from here in New Mexico that were at Bataan. NM had a large
number of people there, because of the guard units that were sent there.

A big uproar happened a couple years ago, when some leftist hippy peace group
wanted to put a memorial up in Santa Fe for the Japanese, and the Bataan
survivors were none too happy about that. I do not think the memorial ended up
being built.

There is also a yearly march 26 mile march at White sands, that thousands are
in, occasionally in the past including some of the survivors, to commemorate
the Bataan March. I think two years, one of the survivors was going to be in
it, and march in his WW2 army uniform. He passed away while sleeping, hours
before the march, his uniform next to him and ready to be worn.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)