First Glider - No Gelcoat

Old February 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default First Glider - No Gelcoat

Yes I've read lots of posts about buying a first glider. My heart is set on
an LS-4 since I'd like to stay in the roughly $30K US price range with a
decent panel and trailer.

BUT, what if I just don't want gelcoat because sooner or later it will have
to be refinished and that doesn't make any sense economically. Then what
would you recommend? I'd rather buy something I could fly for a few years
and not outgrow too quickly and that has a ready market for resale should I
decide to move up the food chain. BTW I fly in light conditions, southern
Ontario, Canada.

Thanks.
Wad.

Old February 9th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Waduino wrote:
Yes I've read lots of posts about buying a first glider. My heart is set on
an LS-4 since I'd like to stay in the roughly $30K US price range with a
decent panel and trailer.

BUT, what if I just don't want gelcoat because sooner or later it will have
to be refinished and that doesn't make any sense economically. Then what
would you recommend? I'd rather buy something I could fly for a few years
and not outgrow too quickly and that has a ready market for resale should I
decide to move up the food chain. BTW I fly in light conditions, southern
Ontario, Canada.

How about an SGS 1-34?

Jack
Old February 9th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

PIK 20 has LS4 performance and was manufactured without gelcoat. They
currently seem to be selling for $15-18K US.

Old February 9th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Waduino wrote:
Yes I've read lots of posts about buying a first glider. My heart is set on
an LS-4 since I'd like to stay in the roughly $30K US price range with a
decent panel and trailer.

BUT, what if I just don't want gelcoat because sooner or later it will have
to be refinished and that doesn't make any sense economically. Then what
would you recommend? I'd rather buy something I could fly for a few years
and not outgrow too quickly and that has a ready market for resale should I
decide to move up the food chain. BTW I fly in light conditions, southern
Ontario, Canada.

Thanks.
Wad.

Why would it have to be refinished? Are there any data on the before and
after flying qualities before and after a 10K (or more) paint job? You
may be cryin' before you're hurt 8)

BTW, I had mine done -- looks nice!

Bob Johnson
Old February 9th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

a PIK20 is not an LS4 or an "__your choice___"......! L/D numbers also are
only that....and not a good comparison of performance or value....all too
many glider buyers use L/D figures which are often very optimistic or
misleading and test reports that have in them their own errors as the basis
for buyer considerations...
The PIK is IMHO an OK glider.but...........again IMHO OK only.....the early
Wortman wing did perform well enough in the day to be copied and used on a
number of other gliders contemporary of the time......it also doesn't like
water drops, dirt or bug.....the PIK is relatively heavy due to the early
construction techniques and would be by today's standard be considered
"sloppily" built...it also is a 15M flapped glider and aside from D/E models
is flaps only..so on a budget it's a fair flyer.but let's not simply use L/D
to convert to value $....
As for the Paint /Gel Coat question.......you really need to look at the
issues with both.....I have not seen 20-30 year old gliders with painted
surfaces that are superior to gel coated surfaces.providing the Gelcoat was
a good quality and properly prepared.Old gliders are old gliders.if they are
not cared for they are ratty old gliders that too need to be
refinished.....be it paint, dope or gelcoat.......and the cost to do any is
still high.
IMHO you look for the best glider you can afford, and afford to keep, one
that not only has L/D but has other redeeming factors and one you will own
and love to own....and whatever your budget is.....add an extra 10-15K to it
)
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

ups.com...

Old February 9th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Take a look at the Std. Jantars, about $18-20K with numbers close to an
LS-4. While not an LS-4, the cost and lack of refinish issues make it
a great ship for the $. Robust and designed for x-c learning as well
as good enough for long flights.

Old February 9th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your first glider should be one that you can fly safely, enjoy flying
it, learn from it and from its handling. The finish of the glider is
important, but there are many other even more important issues. Jantar
Std. is good, solid, built like a tank glider, but it is not for a
beginner pilot. The same applies to the PIK gliders. The LS-4 could
also be handfull if flown by a pilot with limited experience. And that
is true with any composite glider. It is not a simple problem and
advises like that, even though they ment well, can be frustrating. I
would suggest that you fly several different gliders, don't rush to buy
one, but rather fly what is available for rent for at least a full
season and then make your decision.

Sincerely,

Jacek Kobiesa
Washington State

Old February 9th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will second what has been said here and add this--
With older gliders, condition is everything and trailer condition is more
important than anything else. If it's a pain to rig, you will be less
inclined to fly on margial days. Ergonomics matter a lot too. Some of us are
not built for a Jantar. Tall, slender with long arms and you're fine. Any
glass ship will bite you if you are not well trained. Serious drill in a
glass twoplace with an instructor is required. The insidious part is that
they seem so docile up to a point.
So general condition, ease of rigging and comfort for long flight is the
key. You need to learn how to sand gelcoat anyway. Then it needs to be kept
sealed from moisture and UV and it will stay stable a long time.
A L33 Solo might fill the bill for you, and a 1-34 will certaily do the job
nicely (except for the trailer part).
--
Hartley Falbaum
oups.com...

Old February 10th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

An LS4 is an excellent choice...as long as you are
having no problems flying a Duo or DG1000, or Grob
103 for that matter.

Plenty of pilots enjoy flying their sailplanes with
cracks in the gelcoat...if you are the type to dweeb
on the ground checking out instrument panels and wing
finishes, then it might be of concern. Otherwise join
the rest of us with 20 year old original finishes on
our birds.

But I cannot agree more with the post about trailers
and ease of rigging...because if you hate assembly
then you will fly less. And look real hard at a one-man
rigger, they really are worth every penny.

Refinish a Glider in Europe Jim Culp Soaring 4 November 19th 05 08:21 PM
Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM