Removing oil galley plug

Old November 13th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Thanks... was Removing oil galley plug

I had to pull the forward metal baffle (2 screws plus 2 bolts) This gave us
approximately 4 inches of space between the plug and the back of the ring
gear. If we had a fixed pitch prop, I wouldn't have hesitated pulling it
and the ring gear, but with the adjustable prop I would have had to replace
the O ring and there's always a risk of creating an oil leak.

I've got another plug to pull when I get the other engine wired, hopefully
it will come out just as easy. We'll see.
Jim

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
A follow-up question... Looking back, would it have been easier to pull

the
prop and ring gear in the first place? One thing that I hate is working

in
awkward and/or confined areas. That kind of thing seems to lead to

stripped
heads, busted knuckles, etc.

I have a fixed pitch prop and with the cowl off, I can have the spinner,
prop, and ring gear sitting on the hangar floor in 20 minutes or less.

Old November 13th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

That's an understatement!
Friday 6:30pm My A&P and I both arrive at the hanger at the same time. I
had plans to fly down to Jay H's Saturday afternoon after work, so to meet
my self imposed deadline, everything had to be completed and buttoned up
before I left the hanger that night.

We had the plug out in under an hour. My A&P looked everything over and
gave me a thumbs up then left for another job.
By 9pm I had everything recowled, tools accounted for, and every nut, bolt,
and screw double and triple checked. Plugged in the engine heaters,
preflighted the airplane, and was home by 10pm.

Some times things just work out.

Jim

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:12:56 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

GOT IT!

You must've felt like you won the lottery after it came out for you!

Glad it worked out.

Old November 13th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

In this location, I can see no reason in the world that it has to be an
internal hex plug. I think it could just as easily be an external square
headed plug.
Jim

"David Lesher" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" writes:

GOT IT!
Well, thanks to all of you for your great advice, here's how we

approached
it.

Bravo.

[Too bad no one makes Torx head pipe plugs.]
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old November 13th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"Jim Burns" writes:

In this location, I can see no reason in the world that it has to be an
internal hex plug. I think it could just as easily be an external square
headed plug.
Jim

They are no better! I've rounded off those even with a 8-point socket.

I'd love to test JBwelding the key in vs the rubbing compound etc.
approach, just to know which is "better"..

BUT every plug is different. How do you run a fair test?

--
A host is a host from coast to

Fouled plug IO 470 [email protected] General Aviation 7 January 29th 06 06:03 PM
Plug fouled Denny Owning 9 September 2nd 05 05:58 AM
Plug replacements for O-360-A3A [email protected] Owning 3 August 20th 05 10:39 PM
ICOM Headset Adaptor Plug Ron Wanttaja Home Built 3 June 2nd 05 07:54 AM
Helicopter headset plug - help needed NewsGroups Home Built 4 September 8th 04 05:21 PM