Remote power control

Old January 28th 04, 07:07 PM
Marco Leon

A pager's monthly fee would be much cheaper than a cell phone.

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=5477

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Last month in "GA News" there was a brief mention of a system that

allowed
you to turn on a power plug by calling a pager or cell phone.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 28th 04, 07:50 PM
Paul Sengupta

Really? Here in the UK you can get a cellphone on a
pay-as-you-go basis. As long as you're in credit, you can
receive incoming calls, SMSs, whatever (remember in
the UK you don't pay for incoming calls either).

Some schemes say you have to top up every x months, so
you might have to stick a fiver (£5) on every 3 months.
Then maybe make £4.90 worth of calls to get your value
for money from it! :-)

Paul

Old January 28th 04, 10:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Tomblin wrote:

The weather we've had in Rochester the last couple of weeks, the bit about
flying once a week is another problem.

I haven't even *seen* my plane in two months. They look so forlorn when they're
covered in ice. :-(

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 30th 04, 12:12 AM

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:55:10 GMT, Michelle P
wrote:

Paul,
if you handy with electricity go to your local Electrical or heating and
AC supply house. Buy a temperature controlled switch/contactor. They can
go from $30-100 dollars.
I bought one that is double throw and can turn on when the temp falls or
rises. It is used in the heating/AC industry to switch between Heat and AC.
Michelle

Michelle;

I respectfully suggest you contact Peter Tanis

http://www.tanair.com/contactus.html

and ask him what he thinks about using a thermostat to cycle an engine
heater on and off with changes in OAT.

TC

Old January 30th 04, 01:29 AM
Michelle P

Paul,
Not really a good idea. Turning the heat on and off if you do not fly it
can cause condensation inside the case and accelerate corrosion. I went
from a timer on the engine heater to a temperature switch for the engine
heater.

Michelle

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:

It's the Beeper Box: http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Beeper%20Box%20pg%201.htm

Have you looked into the ThermoCube? It turns on when the temperature drops
below a certain threshhold. Sporty's sell it I believe.

I don't want to heat up the airplane every day if I only fly once in a
week.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old February 6th 04, 04:09 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

So does Lowe's, Home Depot, et al.