Garmin 430 and Comm Strength - Solved!

Old December 17th 04, 05:15 PM
Marco Leon

Default Garmin 430 and Comm Strength - Solved!

There have been various posts going back a ways on the comm "strength" of
the GNS430 versus other radios. I've "solved" my particular problem by
adjusting the mic gain on the unit itself. I've had various "complaints"
about my carrier strength over the years with various ATC facilities so I
was eager to solve the problem. The past threads had lots of good
suggestions but none that spoke of first-hand experience.

Yesterday I went for the "$100-screw-adjustment" trip to my avionics shop.
Apparently, I have an "older" GNS430 unit and the adjustment is a small
screw on top of the unit as opposed to the newer models that have the mic
gain adjustment in the software (hold down the ENT key during power-up to
get to the setup). The change was very noticable by the avionics tech once
he adjusted the screw. He seemed surprised because he was almost sure it was
my new headset (yes, I did check with multiple headsets).

The real test was a comparison of volumes in the LiveATC.net archives.
Having flown IFR, I was able to check the outgoing volumes at KFRG and JFK
App/Dep versus the return trip. What a difference! I sounded just as strong
and clear as the airliners. After I landed, I was also received by the FRG
feed (which I provide by the way) while on the ground where before I was
incoherent.

So if you've experienced the same problems, check the mic gain on your 430.
One clue to me was the obviously lower strength of my voice thru my headset
whenever I keyed the mic. Now the volume is almost TOO loud.

Hope this helps others.

Marco Leon
N36616

P.S. If you want to hear for yourself, check out the archives section of
LiveATC.net and go to JFK APP/DEP, Dec 16, 18:30 - 19:00. I'm the first call
on the recording.