tie down plates

Old August 13th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Default tie down plates

I know I've read of the 3-spike plates used for tiedowns @ Oshkosh.
Does someone sell same? A friend is putting up a tent/outbuilding,
and screwing those augers into his solid clay is No Phun [tm].
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old August 13th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:33:06 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

I know I've read of the 3-spike plates used for tiedowns @ Oshkosh.
Does someone sell same? A friend is putting up a tent/outbuilding,
and screwing those augers into his solid clay is No Phun [tm].
--

Nutin holds like those augers. Get a longer lever and take a beer
break halfway through if you need to. For the cost of one of those
Old August 13th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.theclaw.com/

They had booths in at least two different exhibit halls at this years
Airventure.

Old August 13th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

If its not The Claw, there is a homebrew tie down kit plans available
from EAA on their airventure page, which involves 3 long spikes through
a central hub, at angles to each other. not as wide as the Claw.

Both this and the claw are good at what they do.

Dave

Old August 13th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

wrote:

I know I've read of the 3-spike plates used for tiedowns @ Oshkosh.
Does someone sell same? A friend is putting up a tent/outbuilding,
and screwing those augers into his solid clay is No Phun [tm].
--

Nutin holds like those augers. Get a longer lever and take a beer
break halfway through if you need to. For the cost of one of those
fancy 3 spike thingys he can buy all the augers he needs at the local
farm store.

The augers are worthless in hard ground. Here in the west they wouldn't
go an inch into the ground. The Claw is the best I've found.
Old August 13th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

wrote:

Nutin holds like those augers. Get a longer lever and take a beer
break halfway through if you need to. For the cost of one of those
fancy 3 spike thingys he can buy all the augers he needs at the local
farm store.

For permanent tiedowns, I would try to go with augers. The best way to
screw them down is with a long lever and a friend with a sledgehammer. Screw
the thing down until it gets tight (that might be very quick) and have the
friend tap the auger with the sledge as you turn it. I usually expect a quarter
turn from each tap.

I usually dig a posthole about 1/2 depth, insert the auger, and replace the
dirt. That gives you a good start while still allowing the auger to dig down
into undisturbed dirt. You can also posthole down full depth, and carefully
compact the dirt on top of the auger, but you will not have full hold-down
strength available until the dirt settles on its own, a matter of weeks or
months.

Vaughn

Old August 13th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The augers are worthless in hard ground. Here in the west they wouldn't
go an inch into the ground. The Claw is the best I've found.

Agreed. But their price is absurd.

I built my own version for about $20, including the hammer and
carrying sack.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 13th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Jay Honeck writes:

The augers are worthless in hard ground. Here in the west they wouldn't
go an inch into the ground. The Claw is the best I've found.

Agreed. But their price is absurd.

I built my own version for about $20, including the hammer and
carrying sack.

Thanks to all.

We've considered the auger approach; but in this clay, we must
both twist with a 3' piece of rebar AND bang on the top
to encourage it into the good earth. This is called "work"...

This might be doable, but we already assembled the 12'*6' frame for the
structure; and that means: turn 180, slide rebar to clear leg, bang, turn
180.. This is a PITA.

We've considered renting the smallest gas-driven post hole digger; and
adapting its output shaft to drive the augers, but.....

[I'd suggested borrowing the well-drilling rig currently in his back yard
while the crew was home, but he decided they might object, and it would
not fit under the trees easily...]

The Claw & others look to be about 80% suited to what we want. Their
existence, as well as the EAA page [which I can't find but he could
earlier...] helped convince him that angled straight spikes could do
the job. [He has long experience flying around in various aircraft,
from Helio Super Couriers & Hueys to Herc's; often with many bullet
holes. Some of these he exited from when it was on the ground, others at
high altitudes w/ slow rides down...]

We now plan to put down pressure-treated 2*4's 12' long; drilled at
~30 degree angles to the vertical. We'll use ~30' lengths of
rebar with a welded nut & a fender washer or two, and hammer them into
the clay. Then we'll lag-screw the structure legs to the 2x4's.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old August 13th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Skychick doesn't like them:
http://www.skychickadventures.com/Di...cles.asp?ID=12

"Curator" N185KG

oups.com...

Old August 14th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

Nutin holds like those augers. Get a longer lever and take a beer
break halfway through if you need to. For the cost of one of those
fancy 3 spike thingys he can buy all the augers he needs at the local farm store.

Power Auger Drivers (both electric and gasoline powered) are
available. No doubt some equipment rental shops have them.

David Johnson