restarting instrument flying

Old November 12th 03, 01:23 PM
Teacherjh

Flight sim isprobably a great idea for scan and procedures development.
I've never used it before. Any recommendations as to what hardware to
use for joystick, etc.?

I have an el-cheapo joystick on mine. Actually it was free - CompUSA was
giving them away for some reason a few years ago. It's fine for my purposes
(keeping my scan sharp, practing procedures) and in some ways it's better that
it doesn't work so well (it forces me to keep on top of things that just
"happen").

Jose

Old November 13th 03, 11:38 PM
Jim

started 1985
quit 1991 with PPL and IR
started again January 2002
August 2002 completed my Commercial
May 2003 finished my CFI
passed the IGI and CFII writtens
now I'm teaching an Instrument ground school

So after 11 years off I started up again, got current and advanced through
the Commercial and CFI tickets and am now working toward my CFII. I felt
that there was no better way to get back into it than to set a goal of
earning a new ticket. The goal of my commercial ticket by the end the
summer kept me going back to the airport. This was all done on a part time
basis.

X-Plane, FS, and a CH Products yoke got my instrument scan and situational
awareness back up to speed in a hurry, but the best thing you can do is just
dive right back into it with both feet.

Have fun! Welcome back!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 14th 03, 01:28 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Jim wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of adding a license or rating also. Always wanted to fly
choppers. Called the local FBO and was told that their 300C and
instructor was a cool $250/hour. OK, time for plan B...

Matt

Old November 21st 03, 01:04 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

I was thinking of adding a license or rating also.

Like the other posters said, that is a great way to go! You'll grow in
capability and knowledge AND get more flying in at the same time!

Always wanted to fly
choppers.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that. ;-) You don't want to mess with
those heli-thing-a-ma-gigies. After all, there's a reason that there is the
sound of the word 'hell' in that word I won't even speak, out loud.
Remember that helicopters can't really glide like a BEAUTIFUL AEROPLANE,,,
helicopters simply fall with style! (to borrow from 'Toy Story') grin

Obviously, if you must go,,, over THERE,,,, grin have fun! :-)

Oh,, just yesterday (I'm actually being serious here) when I finished my
instrument lesson, the girl at the front desk told my instructor and I that
one of their helicopters just had to do a 'precautionary' emergency landing
in a patch of field just across the street from the airport fence.
Apparently, the instructor had observed some suspicious engine gauge
indications and landed as a precaution. I guess it must have checked out,
because the helicopter went on it's way back to the field.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com