A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ADS-B why

Old January 7th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

Dan,

But did he see your ID because it was coming from your PowerFlarm or did he see it because it was coming from the transponder??? That is the question.

What you saw in this case is not a factor.

Mark
Old January 7th 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

Forgot that part. I do not see myself because the PF is set up with my
ICAO address therefore it suppresses my own transponder.

On 1/7/2017 8:38 AM, wrote:
Dan,

But did he see your ID because it was coming from your PowerFlarm or did he see it because it was coming from the transponder??? That is the question.

What you saw in this case is not a factor.

Mark

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 7th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

Yes.
Old January 7th 17, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 03:29:48 UTC+11, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes.

It depends on whether your TT-22 was pinged by Mode S or Mode C station. If pinged by a Mode S station it will reply Mode S with all the information. If pinged by a Mode C station it will reply Mode C without that information and even though properly configured with your ICAO address in both the flarm and Trig, it will still set of transponder warnings in nearby powerflarm units.

How often it is pinged by a mode C system is the question.
Old January 8th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 03:29:48 UTC+11, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes.

It depends on whether your TT-22 was pinged by Mode S or Mode C station. If pinged by a Mode S station it will reply Mode S with all the information. If pinged by a Mode C station it will reply Mode C without that information and even though properly configured with your ICAO address in both the flarm and Trig, it will still set off transponder warnings in nearby powerflarm units.

How often it is pinged by a mode C system is the question.
Old January 8th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have a PowerFlarm and transponder. Ninety percent of my flying is from the Southern Cal operating areas up through the Sierras and typical operating area out of Minden. So while I do pass through a few more trafficked areas, (Cajon& Banning Pass, Tahoe, Reno...etc) the majority of my flight time is with other gliders. I perfectly see transponder equipped and Flarm equipped gliders, why would I want to add the capability of ADS-B out?

If I was regularly operating in LA class B airspace I can see why I would want all the help and broadcast, but for gliders not typically operating in high traffic airspace why the extra cost, space and battery drain?

Flying in the Reno/Tahoe area, it would give Norcal Approach better information. With a transponder only, they are trying to guess what you are doing, often gliders are not moving fast enough to be able to tell on ATC radar. I know this from listening to them. The subtext of these conversations is "there's a glider there wandering around, got no idea what the hell he's doing". With ADS-B out, they would have a much better idea, though they would need to get used to thermalling behavour.
Old January 8th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

ATC is going to say that about anyone not in radio contact with them, regardless of if you have a primary target only, mode c, or adsb out.
Old January 8th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

Yaaas... They do like to think they're in control. After all,
"controller" is in their job title.

On 1/8/2017 11:15 AM, Tony wrote:
ATC is going to say that about anyone not in radio contact with them, regardless of if you have a primary target only, mode c, or adsb out.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 8th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:15:40 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:

Funny then, that they don't talk like that about other, not-in-contact, GA aircraft transiting the area.

I assumed that was because the GA aircraft was traveling faster, in a more or less straight line, leaving a nice streak on their screen. This is also what NorCal have said in talks with local clubs.

Whether a glider with ADSB out would change things I don't know - there are none in our area so far as I am aware.
Old January 9th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 9:44:24 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have a PowerFlarm and transponder. Ninety percent of my flying is from the Southern Cal operating areas up through the Sierras and typical operating area out of Minden. So while I do pass through a few more trafficked areas, (Cajon& Banning Pass, Tahoe, Reno...etc) the majority of my flight time is with other gliders. I perfectly see transponder equipped and Flarm equipped gliders, why would I want to add the capability of ADS-B out?

If I was regularly operating in LA class B airspace I can see why I would want all the help and broadcast, but for gliders not typically operating in high traffic airspace why the extra cost, space and battery drain?

Flying in the Reno/Tahoe area, it would give Norcal Approach better information. With a transponder only, they are trying to guess what you are doing, often gliders are not moving fast enough to be able to tell on ATC radar.. I know this from listening to them. The subtext of these conversations is "there's a glider there wandering around, got no idea what the hell he's doing". With ADS-B out, they would have a much better idea, though they would need to get used to thermalling behavour.

Actually, my experience with NorCal Approach was different. Last Sep 2016 while flying up from Inyokern to Reno, I stopped in a 17.5k msl climb thermal just SE of Carson City. While monitoring NorCal frequency, I inadvertently made a call to my friend Jim Staniforth, thinking I was on 123.3. To my surprise, the NorCal controller called back, identifying me as "Glider N53LK" just as if I was in flight following. He asked me to ident (Trig 22 transponder on code 1202) which I did. Trained and observant controllers already know we are gliders... and with Mode S they have our ID and N-number right on their display (at least this controller did). I was pleasantly surprised ... and pleased... to know that ATC was watching. That makes my purchase and install of the Trig Mode S transponder very worthwhile.

Walt Rogers WX