Gilsson antenna for GPSMAP 396..

Old July 18th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Gilsson antenna for GPSMAP 396..

I am toying with the idea of getting an aftermarket Gilsson antenna for
my GPSMAP 396 from www.gpsgeek.com. Has anyone had any expereince with
Gilsson antennas for aviation use? Supposedly they have better gain
than the Garmin units.

--Dan

Old July 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ware

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am toying with the idea of getting an aftermarket Gilsson antenna for
my GPSMAP 396 from www.gpsgeek.com. Has anyone had any expereince with
Gilsson antennas for aviation use? Supposedly they have better gain
than the Garmin units.

--Dan

Hell it's on sale for $20. Try it out, if no improvement dump it on eBay,
maybe make a couple of bucks.

Old July 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

On 17 Jul 2006 21:42:24 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

I am toying with the idea of getting an aftermarket Gilsson antenna for
my GPSMAP 396 from www.gpsgeek.com. Has anyone had any expereince with
Gilsson antennas for aviation use? Supposedly they have better gain
than the Garmin units.

Curious why you feel the need to replace the stock Garmin antenna.
Does the 396 have reception issues?

For comparison, I have a GPSMAP 295, and am very happy with the
performance of the external antenna sandwiched in the corner of my
dash.

In 4+ years of flying with the 295, I think I have lost sat reception
a few times, certainly less than 5. I blame those outages on the fact
my antenna is not mounted horizontal (it is canted slightly following
the curve of the glareshield) - which results in less sky viewed by
the antenna.

-Nathan

Old July 19th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GS

Dan wrote:
I am toying with the idea of getting an aftermarket Gilsson antenna for
my GPSMAP 396 from www.gpsgeek.com. Has anyone had any expereince with
Gilsson antennas for aviation use? Supposedly they have better gain
than the Garmin units.

No idea for aviation purposes but I have a few for my Garmin V
automobile GPS (one semi-permanently installed in my car, and then
another for when I travel). All work very well. A million times better
than the standard one that came with the Garmin V. Not sure if the one
you plan on getting has magnets but they are removable from the antennas
I got.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Retractable Comm Antenna Ron Wanttaja Home Built 11 September 6th 04 06:59 PM
ELT antenna -- Pitts Al MacDonald Home Built 0 July 15th 04 03:27 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
comm's RX antenna acepilot Home Built 5 March 3rd 04 05:34 PM