FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

Old March 26th 17, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

SGP USA begins today at Seminole Lake Gliderport near Orlando, Florida.

Website: www.sgp.aero/usa2017

Live tracking: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/race-cov...ontestID=28476

Facebook: @FAISailplaneGrandPrixUSA

Yesterday's practice race results: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/results-...ontestID=28476
Old March 26th 17, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:23:37 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
SGP USA begins today at Seminole Lake Gliderport near Orlando, Florida.

Website: www.sgp.aero/usa2017

Live tracking: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/race-cov...ontestID=28476

Facebook: @FAISailplaneGrandPrixUSA

Yesterday's practice race results: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/results-...ontestID=28476

Busy six months! Is there live commentary?
Old March 26th 17, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

For the last couple competition days, we hope to do live commentary. There will be daily summary videos each night.

The sailplane tracking systems (mobile and InReach, no Spots allowed) and GlidePort.aero are working extremely well making each race very fun to follow, he http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/race-cov...ontestID=28476

Sean
7T

Old March 26th 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Well I almost got dead last and I had a BLAST. Great weather great racing. Forecast is good too, I hope you all get a chance to follow along this week.
Old March 26th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 8:09:39 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:23:37 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
SGP USA begins today at Seminole Lake Gliderport near Orlando, Florida.

Website: www.sgp.aero/usa2017

Live tracking: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/race-cov...ontestID=28476

Facebook: @FAISailplaneGrandPrixUSA

Yesterday's practice race results: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/results-...ontestID=28476

Busy six months! Is there live commentary?

Curious; the second finisher got a finish penalty for finishing at 267m ("Finish too low 267 m - Penalty 14 sec"); yet, the local procedures document on the website, para G2a, says minimum finish height is 183m? Also, with a penalty of 14 secs, at 2 secs/m, suggests 7m plus the free first 5m, so 12m low?
Old March 26th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

MSL vs AGL?
Old March 27th 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Minimum finish height raised to 900MSL today,from 600MSL during the practice period
Old March 27th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:02:13 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Minimum finish height raised to 900MSL today,from 600MSL during the practice period

Thanks Tony!
Old March 27th 17, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:23:37 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
SGP USA begins today at Seminole Lake Gliderport near Orlando, Florida.

Website: www.sgp.aero/usa2017

Live tracking: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/race-cov...ontestID=28476

Facebook: @FAISailplaneGrandPrixUSA

Yesterday's practice race results: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/results-...ontestID=28476

Spectators crowd around the tracking display and gather to watch the start and finish. This can be a spectator sport with proper tracking and presentation.
Old March 27th 17, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is the first US contest with mandatory high resolution Tracking. Thanks contestants. I know it's another device to configure but Wow! I watched all three hours in playback mode (5 minute delay for animation smoothing). It was the most exciting glider race I've ever seen from the ground!

Thanks for a fun afternoon in front of the TV.

Lane Bush
XF