Exhaust system on Cessna 172

Old January 31st 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ronnie

Default Exhaust system on Cessna 172

Just got the word from the A&P that the exhaust system
on my 1976 M model 172 needs overhauling because of
cracks and leaks. I'm compemplating replacing it with a
Power Flow Systems tuned exhaust rather than having
the stock OEM system overhauled.

The A&P is guessing the overhaul cost will be about $1k.

The PFS system ranges from $3425 to $3875 depending
on short-stack versus "classic" (long pipe hanging outside
the cowling) and polished versus ceramic coated.

Comments?
Your experiences?
Is it worth the extra $2K or so?

Any place to buy a PFS at a discount, or is ordering from
the factory the best / only option?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Old February 1st 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Ronnie

Save your money... Repair the stock system...

denny

Old February 1st 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Ronnie wrote:
Just got the word from the A&P that the exhaust system
on my 1976 M model 172 needs overhauling because of
cracks and leaks. I'm compemplating replacing it with a
Power Flow Systems tuned exhaust rather than having
the stock OEM system overhauled.

I've had my PFS on my Cherokee 140 for something like 7 years. It
definitely helps the climb performance and general engine smoothness.
In the past, I've always advised people the following: If you have a
good exhaust system, I wouldn't trash it to put on a PFS. If your
exhaust system is on it's last legs, then it's worth considering.

It seems like you're in the latter category. Whether it's "worth it" is
subjective. I really wanted to add to my climb performance. You're
probably in the same boat. You'll have to decide if it's worth the
extra cash.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old February 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Jay, what effect does the PFS have on your cruise speed and fuel flow?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

I'm a uniter, not a divider. - GWB, 1999.

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 1st 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Mike Noel wrote:
Jay, what effect does the PFS have on your cruise speed and fuel flow?

No perceivable change in cruise. It's been a long time since I
accurately checked my fuel burn, but if I remember correctly, it did
reduce it some small but noticeable amount.

--- Jay

Old February 1st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
Jay, what effect does the PFS have on your cruise speed and fuel flow?

Without re-pitching the prop, there should be no change in cruise. At the
same RPM, you're pulling the same amount of air through the prop. The
noticable change should be in take-off performance, where your RPM would be
higher than before.

Old February 1st 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ronnie

Not hearing any convincing arguments in
favor of the extra money, the decision was
made to overhaul the stock OEM exhaust
system.

Ronnie

t...

Old February 2nd 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Ronnie wrote:

Just got the word from the A&P that the exhaust system
on my 1976 M model 172 needs overhauling because of
cracks and leaks. I'm compemplating replacing it with a
Power Flow Systems tuned exhaust rather than having
the stock OEM system overhauled.

The A&P is guessing the overhaul cost will be about $1k.

The PFS system ranges from $3425 to $3875 depending
on short-stack versus "classic" (long pipe hanging outside
the cowling) and polished versus ceramic coated.

Comments?
Your experiences?
Is it worth the extra $2K or so?

Any place to buy a PFS at a discount, or is ordering from
the factory the best / only option?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Everybody that I have found that has a PF exhaust installed has raved
about them. I found no decenters. I too would like to install one on my
C-172, that's why, when I see a plane with one installed, I stop and
talk to the owner.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 2nd 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Not hearing any convincing arguments in
favor of the extra money, the decision was
made to overhaul the stock OEM exhaust
system.

Ronnie, ask your A&P if he's using Dawley Aviation, in Burlington, WI,
to overhaul your exhaust system.

They're excellent people to deal with, and reasonably priced. (Well,
reasonable for aviation...)

Also, if you live anywhere near Wisconsin, picking up the finished
product yourself will you save you some significant crating/shipping
charges.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Ronnie, ask your A&P if he's using Dawley Aviation, in Burlington, WI,
to overhaul your exhaust system.

They're excellent people to deal with, and reasonably priced. (Well,
reasonable for aviation...)

second

Also, if you live anywhere near Wisconsin, picking up the finished
product yourself will you save you some significant crating/shipping
charges.

But your A&P will lose out on the peanuts!!!

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the