Average lifespan of a business jet?

Old February 14th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
GrtArtiste

Default Average lifespan of a business jet?

There's a rumor floating around the office that my company is
considering purchase of a used bizjet. They have a reputation for
trying to do things on the cheap and seem to be partial to Citations
because we're located in a town that has a Cessna repair facility.
I've seen multiple listings for such planes varying from 15-20 years
and older with TT ranging from as few as 3700 up to 10000-12000. So I
wonder...how old (how many hours) does such a plane get before it has
(generally speaking) outlived it's usefulness? Depending on what they
decide to buy, I'll have to determine whether or not I want to fly in
it.

GrtArtistea non-pilot, not wanting to end up like Payne Stewart

Old February 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

GrtArtiste wrote:
There's a rumor floating around the office that my company is
considering purchase of a used bizjet. They have a reputation for
trying to do things on the cheap and seem to be partial to Citations
because we're located in a town that has a Cessna repair facility.
I've seen multiple listings for such planes varying from 15-20 years
and older with TT ranging from as few as 3700 up to 10000-12000. So I
wonder...how old (how many hours) does such a plane get before it has
(generally speaking) outlived it's usefulness? Depending on what they
decide to buy, I'll have to determine whether or not I want to fly in
it.

GrtArtistea non-pilot, not wanting to end up like Payne Stewart

Mostly depends on how well it was maintained.
Michelle
Old February 14th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
GrtArtiste

On Feb 13, 8:37 pm, Michelle P
wrote:

Mostly depends on how well it was maintained.
Michelle

Of course it does. Let's assume all required maintenance was above-
average in quality. I guess what I'm looking for is an age-hour limit
for my comfort level.

GrtArtiste

Old February 14th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

GrtArtiste wrote:

There's a rumor floating around the office that my company is
considering purchase of a used bizjet. They have a reputation for
trying to do things on the cheap and seem to be partial to Citations
because we're located in a town that has a Cessna repair facility.
I've seen multiple listings for such planes varying from 15-20 years
and older with TT ranging from as few as 3700 up to 10000-12000. So I
wonder...how old (how many hours) does such a plane get before it has
(generally speaking) outlived it's usefulness? Depending on what they
decide to buy, I'll have to determine whether or not I want to fly in
it.

GrtArtistea non-pilot, not wanting to end up like Payne Stewart

Not sure this is a go/no-go question. As the age goes up, the liklihood
of systems failing does also. If the plane has a history of being
patched up (overhauls and repairs on the original systems), that is
probably going to cost you. If the jet has seen major upgrades to newer
systems when something fails (new avionics, engine upgrades, airframe
overhauls), you may find a sweet spot in the financials of owning that
plane.

In general, most business jets have surprisingly little time on them.

But it does not take many $30,000 heated windshields to bust the bank. I
really never equated "cheap" with "jets". Maybe someone with a lot more
cash than I do would.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old February 14th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

The number of pressurizations is one factor. Something like 10,000
(that would be 10,000 pressurizations, not hours) is getting up there.
The other item is engine rebuilds are horrendously expensive and can
swamp the cost of purchase. Don't believe Cessna's figures on per hour
running either. They are way optimistic.

Having said all that, there are some very useful, well used business
jets out there.

My advice would be to get an expert. in CESSNA CITATIONS. Probably a
Citation mechanic, and pay him to help you decide which one.

Old February 14th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Private

"Doug" wrote in message
ps.com...
The number of pressurizations is one factor. Something like 10,000
(that would be 10,000 pressurizations, not hours) is getting up there.

snip

I have recently flown a 737 with over 74000 cycles.

Old February 14th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Private" wrote)
The number of pressurizations is one factor. Something like 10,000 (that
would be 10,000 pressurizations, not hours) is getting up there.

I have recently flown a 737 with over 74000 cycles.

Is taking off, flying up to altitude, then landing, one cycle?

10 Cycles Per Day (x) ...

10 years (3,650 days) = 36,500 cycles

20 years (x) ..10 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles
25 years (x) ...8 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles
40 years (x) ...5 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles

WOW!

Montblack

Old February 14th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jc

Montblack wrote:

("Private" wrote)

I have recently flown a 737 with over 74000 cycles.

Is taking off, flying up to altitude, then landing, one cycle?

10 Cycles Per Day (x) ...

10 years (3,650 days) = 36,500 cycles

20 years (x) ..10 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles
25 years (x) ...8 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles
40 years (x) ...5 c.p.d. = 73,000 cycles

How many cycles did the Aloha convertible have? IIRC it was something like
90,000 but a 737 might be designed to different life expectations
--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.
Old February 14th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Not a problem, Monty...we had a couple of Fat Alberts on the line when I
"retired" from PSA in the late '60s. The 737 was BUILT for the milk
runs...our longest run was an hour; many of them were 45 minutes or so. You
can get a dozen cycles a day in at that rate and that was 40 years ago.

A "cycle" is depart, gear up, gear down, arrive. 99.999% of the time that
also means a pressurization.

Jim

("Private" wrote)

Old February 14th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Maybe try not to be the first passenger then?

I would also/moreso worry about pilot training/qualifications. Egos and
fancy outfits do not help when something does go wrong.

GrtArtiste wrote:
There's a rumor floating around the office that my company is
considering purchase of a used bizjet. They have a reputation for
trying to do things on the cheap and seem to be partial to Citations
because we're located in a town that has a Cessna repair facility.
I've seen multiple listings for such planes varying from 15-20 years
and older with TT ranging from as few as 3700 up to 10000-12000. So I
wonder...how old (how many hours) does such a plane get before it has
(generally speaking) outlived it's usefulness? Depending on what they
decide to buy, I'll have to determine whether or not I want to fly in
it.

GrtArtistea non-pilot, not wanting to end up like Payne Stewart

Average price per qt/case 15W50? Doug Vetter Owning 15 March 30th 06 05:01 AM
Lifespan of a parachute canopy? Martyn Johnson Soaring 10 January 16th 06 09:54 PM
Wing covering lifespan? Michael Horowitz Owning 1 October 6th 05 02:37 AM
Average brokerage fee? sue t Piloting 5 December 19th 03 08:02 PM
on average 17 attacks on US forces a day Jim Military Aviation 0 October 15th 03 08:06 PM