Average lifespan of a business jet?

Old February 15th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Average lifespan of a business jet?

One other major item that you need to do with whatever you decide to
purchase is to take the time run down the list of recommended and
required inspection or overhaul items due within the next couple of
thousand hours and get a handle on the costs of them. You don't want
to drop a bunch on an jet that turns up needing a required inspection
or overhaul that rivals the purchase price.

I had an aquaitenence that bought a jet for a fantastic price, but
ended up grounding it 300 hours later when a mandatory inspection came
due....the labor cost exceeded what he paid for the jet. He though it
was a very simple inspection, but it wasn't and it really bit him in
the butt when got the estimate.

Old February 15th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:52:42 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Not a problem, Monty...we had a couple of Fat Alberts on the line when I
"retired" from PSA in the late '60s. The 737 was BUILT for the milk
runs...our longest run was an hour; many of them were 45 minutes or so. You
can get a dozen cycles a day in at that rate and that was 40 years ago.

A "cycle" is depart, gear up, gear down, arrive. 99.999% of the time that
also means a pressurization.

Isn't there a "check or inspection" some where around 10,000 to 12,000
hours that amounts to almost a complete airframe rebuild?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 15th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

wrote:

Not a problem, Monty...we had a couple of Fat Alberts on the line when I
"retired" from PSA in the late '60s. The 737 was BUILT for the milk
runs...our longest run was an hour; many of them were 45 minutes or so.
You
can get a dozen cycles a day in at that rate and that was 40 years ago.

A "cycle" is depart, gear up, gear down, arrive. 99.999% of the time that
also means a pressurization.

Isn't there a "check or inspection" some where around 10,000 to 12,000
hours that amounts to almost a complete airframe rebuild?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Ok, I'll jump in here. Back in the 80's I worked for a Charter/Corporate
outfit that purchased, rebuilt, maintained and flew a 1969 Lear 24B. The
airplane did indeed run up against a 9000 hour inspection, which we did in
our shop. New engines, interior, and systems(Hydraulic & Electrical). Yes,
it was expensive, and yes the old beast burned a lot of fuel, no fanjets
these. But it was reliable, a very good performer, and we could go a long
way on the over $1,000,000 saved on a new jet.
Yes, it had some training issues. It had all the subtlety of a rake in
the garden. You kinda wanted to take the thing seriously most of the time.
Yes, it was noisy. We once got a $250 ticket for making a "Non noise
abatement departure" before we left. In fact we were sitting in the airport
lounge. It was like getting a ticket for speeding before your new Porche was
delivered. The cop said, it was an "anticipatory" ticket.
It was also fast. At light weights, I have recorded a climb to 12,500 in
1 minute from brake release. We could be level at FL410, and a 1000lbs
lighter, 15 minutes after departure. Lose an engine at night in the snow and
ice, and you are reduced to the performance of a stock DC9. Whenever you
wanted more altitude, the loud levers would take you there. I felt like I
was flying a liquid fuel rocket.
If properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with an older airplane.
How do you think it got so old?

Al G

Average price per qt/case 15W50? Doug Vetter Owning 15 March 30th 06 05:01 AM
Lifespan of a parachute canopy? Martyn Johnson Soaring 10 January 16th 06 10:54 PM
Wing covering lifespan? Michael Horowitz Owning 1 October 6th 05 02:37 AM
Average brokerage fee? sue t Piloting 5 December 19th 03 09:02 PM
on average 17 attacks on US forces a day Jim Military Aviation 0 October 15th 03 08:06 PM