Flight Review in a turbo twin

Old February 16th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Default Flight Review in a turbo twin

What's a "103?"

"Curator" N185KG

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 16, 9:43 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"chad" wrote:
I own a turbo Cessna 310 and I'm wondering if other turbo twin owners
do their biennial flight review in their aircraft. Is single engine
work required for a flight review if done in a twin? I'm concered
that doing the review in my aircraft may be hard on the engines,
specifically the turbos. Would I be better off to just rent a single
engine for the review?

Pardon the question from an ASEL owner, but what good is a BFR for a ME
pilot
that doesn't include engine-out procedures?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

The BFR is non plane specific, non maneuver specific, etc... The CFI
can call for engine out procedures but that is exactly what he does
not want his turbo engines to go through... If he does it in his
plane, then he and the CFI have to decide what specific maneuvers will
be done...
Even though I learned to fly in conventional gear and flew such planes
most of my youth (J3, T-craft, 120, 103, etc.) I have also spent the
past few decades pushing twins towards the horizon... This past BFR I
chose to renew my aquaintance with conventional gear by checking out
in a PA-12... The reason for this one is that it returns me to the
right hand stick, left hand throttle, world.. First ten minutes were
fun breaking my right hand from moving when my brain called for power
changes... By the end of the sessionI had the full stall landing
working again and the hands sorted out... More fun that a bag full of
monkeys... Gonna do it for the next BFR also...

Old February 16th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

You do have a fair point and concern. Can it wait for summer?

Here is what I do. Don't do rapid power changes. If I will be simulating
an engine out, pull back slowly. and leave a little on to simulate
feather. If I need more power to keep it warm, drop down some flaps.

As far as your turbo worries go, I would think they will be okay. Unless
you don't allow them to spool down before shutting down.

But there are no guarantees about anything. It's always your call.]

John

Old February 16th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Feb 16, 6:35 am, Nathan Young wrote:

The flight portion of my BFRs have focused on basic maneuvers, stalls,
slow flight, steep turns, and landings.

These procedures pretty much dictate the engines will go through many
high/low power cycles... Not the best for a turbo'd engine.

If I was you, I would rent a single for the day.

As a CFI I would not sign a guy off in a single for a BFR if I know
his daily flying is a turbo twin. However, we could probably do the
flight review in the twin without putting too much stress on his
engines. Or, he could rent a twin.

-Robert, CFII

You're the CFI, so you can sign off whatever you want, but that doesn't make
sense to me. If a guy who flies B-747's for a living can get his tailwheel
endorsement and have that count as a BFR, I don't see why anyone would draw
a line in the sand as you describe... I don't think that is what the FAA
intended when they created the BFR...

KB

Old February 17th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

Does the CFI giving the review need to have a CFIMEL rating if the flight is in the twin?

:
: Pardon the question from an ASEL owner, but what good is a BFR for a ME pilot
: that doesn't include engine-out procedures?
:
: --
: Dan
: C-172RG at BFM
:

Old February 17th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Kyle Boatright wrote:

As a CFI I would not sign a guy off in a single for a BFR if I know
his daily flying is a turbo twin.

I have a friend with four super cubs, one on amphibs. A 182 with a
canard on the nose, 310 hp and 26 bush wheels all around.
A Spartan Executive. A Caravan and a 210 with a turbine in it. What
should he do his BFR with?

Old February 17th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 16, 3:06 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in glegroups.com...

[...]

A guess who flys 747's for a living doesn't require a BFR endorsement
but a biannual CFI ride in the tailwheel isn't a bad idea if he flys
tailwheels.

-Robert

Old February 17th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 16, 4:58 pm, Newps wrote:
Kyle Boatright wrote:
As a CFI I would not sign a guy off in a single for a BFR if I know
his daily flying is a turbo twin.

I have a friend with four super cubs, one on amphibs. A 182 with a
canard on the nose, 310 hp and 26 bush wheels all around.
A Spartan Executive. A Caravan and a 210 with a turbine in it. What
should he do his BFR with?

For the FAA or for safety? A review in each plane would not be a bad
idea or at least take the 310 and the Spartan. This issue came up in
some discussions from the FAA. The question was, should you do a BFR
in a C-152 for a guy who only flies his Citation. Legally, you can.
Personally, I would not. The BFR should be made to suit the type of
flying the pilot does. I can't do Citation work in a C-150.

-Robert

Old February 17th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

On Feb 16, 12:12 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
What's a "103?"

"Curator" N185KG

Stinson Stationwagon

Old February 17th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Interesting, the way these threads go... I see some folks rightously
claiming the FAA didn't INTEND for this or that... The 'intent' of the
FAA is absolutely meaningless, and any trial court in the country will
tell you that... It is what the reg says that is legally binding - not
the intent of the FAA legal staff who signed off on the reg, many of
whom will not even be still employed there...
The intent of the Bienniel Flight Review (as revealed by the language)
is that each of us shall get one hour of flight instruction from a CFI
- period....
Presumably the FAA feels that will help with public safety, or maybe
not, but that gets us back into the quicksand of intent. In any case,
you do the 1 hour of flight review and if the CFI feels that you have
met the criteria HE has set (no slight implied Michelle), you get
signed off as meeting the regulation...

In my case I chose to improve my airplane handling by renewing my
acquaintance with cross wind landings in conventional gear aircraft
with right hand stick and left hand throttle..
In your case it might be best spent reviewing PAR approaches to
minimums -
In another case it might be best spent reviewing the proper way to
enter the traffic pattern (based on what I see some pilots do)
For others some intensive instruction on how NOT to use the radio
would be very useful!
For others a reintroduction to cross country navigation using only a
whisky compass and a chart would pay benefits... When is the last
time you plotted a cross country course including compass deviation
and variation and wind correction angle (remember those terms? can
you define them?) and then flew it...

In any case, if the CFI tells me he wants to see single engine cuts at
50 feet, he will remain unemployed by me...

cheers ... denny