Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Old October 15th 05, 12:41 AM
Gary Drescher

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
All I ask is that instructors provide documentation for their little
quirks. If the student can't find something to back up the instructor's
assertions, s/he should ask for it.

But if the student can find documentation to back up all the instructor's
assertions, then the instructor is pretty much superfluous, no?

Not at all. One key role for the instructor is to say "try doing this". You
do, and you verify by your own experience that it works reasonably well.
Then you know that it's a good technique (though not necessarily the best
possible technique). Instructors can also call your attention to errors or
lapses in your technique that aren't evident to you until they're pointed
out.

Another key role is to direct you to important things for you to look up, or
tell you about errors that have crept into your recollections of past
research (or errors in things you never researched to begin with).

--Gary

Old October 15th 05, 12:48 AM
Bob Moore

"Gary Drescher" wrote
The AIM provides radio communication protocols. Unfortunately, section
4-2 (Radio Communications Phraseology and Techniques) is silent on
this point. However, section 4-3 (Airport Operations) gives the
example "cleared to land runway six right", so omitting the zero
appears to be the standard (4-3-11c2).

Also..........
4-3-6. Use of Runways/Declared Distances

a. Runways are identified by numbers which indicate the nearest 10-degree
increment of the azimuth of the runway centerline. For example, where the
magnetic azimuth is 183 degrees, the runway designation would be 18; for a
magnetic azimuth of
87 degrees, the runway designation would be 9. For a magnetic azimuth
ending in the number 5, such as 185, the runway designation could be either
18 or 19. Wind direction issued by the tower is also magnetic and wind
velocity is in knots.

Bob Moore
Old October 15th 05, 12:49 AM
Gary Drescher

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
I do believe that leading zeroes are expected, however, on headings.

Yes (AIM 4-2-10).

Don't ask me why the difference...

I'd guess it's because there's much more room for confusion when it comes to
headings--in general, there are many more headings available than there are
runways at a particular airport.

--Gary

Old October 15th 05, 12:59 AM
Morgans

"rps" wrote\

At your runway, however, "zero two" could easily be confused with "two
zero," which as you know is the opposite end of the same runway.

How could you do that? Zero has two syllables, and two has only one, plus
they sound nothing alike!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 15th 05, 01:00 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
.. .

I wonder if this is just a regional or international thing.

I've heard the preceding zero used constantly at airports
outside North America (YPPH, YSSY, EIDW, and EHAM in particular), so it
might be something carried over from that.. Just a thought.

Use of a leading zero in runway designations is an ICAO standard that the US
does not follow.

Old October 15th 05, 01:08 AM
Gary Drescher

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
.. .

I wonder if this is just a regional or international thing.

I've heard the preceding zero used constantly at airports
outside North America (YPPH, YSSY, EIDW, and EHAM in particular), so it
might be something carried over from that.. Just a thought.

Use of a leading zero in runway designations is an ICAO standard that the
US does not follow.

Yup. And if you google-map satellite photos of Canadian airports, you'll see
leading zeros painted on the 1-9 runways, unlike in the US.

--Gary

Old October 15th 05, 01:24 AM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
.. .

I wonder if this is just a regional or international thing.

I've heard the preceding zero used constantly at airports
outside North America (YPPH, YSSY, EIDW, and EHAM in particular), so it
might be something carried over from that.. Just a thought.

Use of a leading zero in runway designations is an ICAO standard that the
US does not follow.

Please provide a reference for that.

Old October 15th 05, 01:32 AM
Jose

Not at all. One key role for the instructor is to say "try doing this". You
do, and you verify by your own experience that it works reasonably well.

"Try saying 'runway zero nine'." And are all books correct? In
learning, one synthesizes, but there's only a limited amount of time
available. The instructor helps "cut to the chase", as it were, and
though nothing should be accepted blindly, challenging everything the
instructor tells you becomes rather pointless, especially in the beginning.

Things that are "wrong" often work "reasonably well".

Instructors can also call your attention to errors or
lapses in your technique that aren't evident to you until they're pointed
out.

I thought that's what Usenet was for.

Jose
Old October 15th 05, 01:40 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .

Visually, 02 and 20 can be confused, especially as they are opposite ends
of the same piece of pavement and you may be seeing one of them upside
down, so having a single digit is a nice cue.

Aurally I think "runway six" is clearer than "runway zero six" and uses
less radio time. I suppose "runway two garble" is ambiguous while "runway
zero two garble" isn't, but "runway garble two" isn't much better, so
that's a wash for me.

When part of a radio transmission is garbled I respond with "say again."

Old October 15th 05, 01:43 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message

I use an airport that has RWY 7 and I call zero-seven all the time. What
does it matter?

It's not that it's harmful, it's just that it serves no useful purpose.
Much like calling yourself "Skyhawk november niner eight zero one victor"
instead of "Skyhawk niner eight zero one victor".

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM