Ice Storm pix

Old December 21st 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Ice Storm pix

Was it available with XP instead of that pos Vista?

Nope. My intention was to buy this (admittedly RAM-challenged) laptop
and install XP -- but to my surprise I discovered that I actually
liked Vista -- even with just 512 K of RAM.

Over the course of a month or two, however, as I added more "stuff"
the insufficient RAM became more apparent, and everything started
running in slow-motion -- so I tripled it.

Since then, this little toy has been simply perfect. It's 100-times
better than my old laptop, for (literally) 1/8th the price.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 21st 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Do tell, Jay. *Where did you get it?

Best Buy, in an unadvertised special. Just stumbled on it, really.

Since then they've run several more specials on this (and similar)
models.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 21st 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Nope. My intention was to buy this (admittedly RAM-challenged) laptop
and install XP -- but to my surprise I discovered that I actually
liked Vista -- even with just 512 K of RAM.

You are a sick man.

:-)

and to bring this back on topic a little (gasp!), Jay, did you read
the AOPA article about kids and flying lessons? Any thoughts?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old December 21st 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

and to bring this back on topic a little (gasp!), Jay, did you read
the AOPA article about kids and flying lessons? *Any thoughts?

Haven't seen it. Which edition (month) is that article in?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 21st 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-12-20, Jay Honeck wrote:
Compaq Presario C563NR Notebook PC

3 months ago? Compaq? I thought HP had dropped the Compaq brand, they
certainly have here (they called it HP-Compaq for a while, then just
dropped the Compaq altogether).

I'm a bit miffed about Hewlett-Paqard actually - we have 70 of their
slimline desktops. Within 9 months *all* of them had failed and had to
have new motherboards under warranty (bad capacitors). About 1/3rd of
them shipped with bad hard discs. The same machines are now failing for a
second time, this time with bad capacitors in the power supply. Of
course they are now out of warranty so we're going to have to pay to
have all the power supplies replaced.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.

Old December 21st 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jan 08

Either I haven't received that one yet (likely) or it got squirreled
away by one of the other pilots in this family.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 21st 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

3 months ago? Compaq? I thought HP had dropped the Compaq brand, they
certainly have here (they called it HP-Compaq for a while, then just
dropped the Compaq altogether).

It seems that the old Compaq name soldiers on here in America. At
least for now.

I'm a bit miffed about Hewlett-Paqard actually - we have 70 of their
slimline desktops. Within 9 months *all* of them had failed and had to
have new motherboards under warranty (bad capacitors). About 1/3rd of
them shipped with bad hard discs. The same machines are now failing for a
second time, this time with bad capacitors in the power supply. Of
course they are now out of warranty so we're going to have to pay to
have all the power supplies replaced.

A "bit miffed"? I'd be standing in their office, on someone's desk!
(Of course, good luck finding an office, or a desk, in a company like
H-P anymore...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ice storm! Jay Honeck Piloting 82 February 28th 07 01:13 PM
OSH storm pix Jay Honeck Piloting 19 August 26th 06 06:34 AM
Storm Damage john smith Piloting 0 June 23rd 06 10:05 PM
Southern Arizona Storm Ken Reed Owning 12 June 10th 06 04:01 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM