Ipaq 4700 question

Old May 3rd 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Ipaq 4700 question

Why not jam the switch down or, for the more adventurous, solder a jumper
across it?

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
One comment based on a IPaq model 2215 so may not relate to your 4700.

The battery cover of the 2215 must be in place for the unit to power
up. The difference between "in place" and "not in place" could be
used for microscopic scientific measurements. I had the cover come
loose (ever so slightly) in flight and the unit powered off, which was
a lot of fun (not). Took me a while to figure out what was going on.
There is a small tab on the battery cover that pushes a switch telling
the unit life is good. Of course this tab often breaks. Of course a
replacement cover is difficult and expensive to come by. Fix =
gaffers tape on the cover. I never understood what they were trying
to protect me from. I suppose the lithium battery but sheez.

Am I bitter? Nah. I switched to an Oudie!

YMMV.

- John

Old May 3rd 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On May 2, 7:25*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Why not jam the switch down or, for the more adventurous, solder a jumper
across it?

Well I am adventurous! I opened the patient and (as I remember it)
the tiny switch was surface mount rather than through hole and had
multiple contacts. I removed the switch and soldered across where it
seemed appropriate. Worked for a while. Luckily I owned several for
backups.

Jamming something to hold the switch closed was problematic due to the
layout. You had to be there.

I think that the HP engineers were playing hard to get.

- John

FS: Ipaq 4700 + Winpilot Pro Ramy Soaring 0 January 21st 12 05:25 AM
Instruments and iPaq 4700 for sale, USA Chris Soaring 1 November 3rd 09 01:34 PM
Winpilot pro and Ipaq 4700 locking up. joesimmers Soaring 5 July 17th 08 05:42 AM
IPAQ 4700/4705 Doug LS4 Soaring 9 January 31st 06 01:01 PM
New iPAQ 4700 Paul Remde Soaring 2 October 9th 04 11:06 PM