Cost of Flying in Europe

Old September 30th 05, 05:15 PM
john smith

Default Cost of Flying in Europe

For someone who already has a pilot certificate and has an airplane to
fly, what are the costs (other than fuel and oil) associated with flying
in Europe?
Old September 30th 05, 06:32 PM
Chris

"john smith" wrote in message
For someone who already has a pilot certificate and has an airplane to
fly, what are the costs (other than fuel and oil) associated with flying
in Europe?

50 hour inspections, annual inspections, 3 yearly "star" annual (very
expensive) and if importing a US aircraft possibly $6000 to get it on the
register after a pile of useless mods are added.

If you want to fly IFR on the US register in Europe aircraft will need ADF
and DME. GPS substitution is not acceptable so mods are required to those
nice glass cockpits.

All airports charge landing fees. Last week we did a couple of practice ILS
approaches and a landing, the charge was $50. That was after booking a slot
two days earlier.

On that particular day we did 90 minutes flying, the aircraft costs incl
fuel were $160 and the user charges including the low approach and two
landings came to $80.

If we were an aircraft with a weight above 2000kgs and flying IFR then there
would be route charges too.

I am sure that within the next 10 years that will be the case in the US, in
that the user should pay the costs for what they use rather than it be paid
for by the taxpayer.
One alternative might be to introduce commercials into ATC.

Can you getting a landing clearance thus:

"Cleared to land runway 26, ... this clearance is brought to you by Reggies
pizzeria they best pizzas for miles." or even

" Cleared for take off........ on those long lonely flights have you ever
given though to what your family is feeling. Are you properly insured? For
instant insurance contact FSS Insurances on 122.2 before departure or call
us on a longer segment and we can discuss all your insurance requirements.
122.2 ..... WE ARE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!! 122.2 .......contact
departure on 128.4.

I am sure there is scope for a lot more.

Old September 30th 05, 07:38 PM
NW_PILOT

"Chris" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
[...]

I am a US Pilot and I Am A US Taxpayer. I don't mind my tax dollars going to
support aviation related services, But we cannot chouse how the government
spends our tax dollars, I would rather see it go for general aviation
services then a career welfare recipient. Another Idea would be to charge
the Major Aairlines other than GA.

Old October 2nd 05, 08:50 AM
Thomas Borchert

John,

what are the costs (other than fuel and oil) associated with flying
in Europe?

Not sure what you are driving at, exactly. Cost for maintenance and
almost everything else is driven higher by lower numbers. Also, most
airfields charge landing fees.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 2nd 05, 02:15 PM
john smith

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

John,

what are the costs (other than fuel and oil) associated with flying
in Europe?

Not sure what you are driving at, exactly. Cost for maintenance and
almost everything else is driven higher by lower numbers. Also, most
airfields charge landing fees.

Airport landing fees, EuroControl, customs. Anything you can expect to
be charged for. Do any countries/cities still charge a visitors
registration fee/tax?
Old October 2nd 05, 04:01 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:15:25 GMT, john smith wrote:

Airport landing fees,

yes

EuroControl,

not for VFR

customs.

hu?

#m

--
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010920-8.html
Old October 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
Thomas Borchert

John,

EuroControl,

All IFR traffic above 2 metric tonnes MTOW pays enroute fees. In
Germany, ALL IFR traffic pays departure fees.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 3rd 05, 02:09 AM
Mike Rapoport

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
[...]

If you are making under about $200K then you are being subsidized, and have
no basis to complain about paying for anything.

Mike
MU-2