Near miss from space junk.

Old April 4th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default Near miss from space junk.

Mxsmanic wrote:

If I were to spin you round and round in your seat for a minute (I'm
sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers - and then get you to stand
up and walk twenty feet in a straight line. Can you do it?

If I have an instrument that shows me how to walk straight, yes.

I call bull**** on this one. No you can't. Yes you do have an instrument
that shows you how to walk straight: your eyeballs (we won't do the
experiment in the dark at first) looking at, say, the road or the walls
around you or other fixed objects of your choice. An NO, emphatically,
you won't be able to walk straight, or even stand up. There are actually
neat and fun devices designed to do just that: spin you around and around
for a while (there was one at Beale AFB where I did the high altitude
training, I am sure you can find something similar elsewhere)

But in reality, aircraft do not spin round and round for minutes at a time
just because they are in clouds.

Not minutes at a time, but HOURS at a time depending on how long
the flight in the clouds lasts. Not quite spinning like the fun training
device I was mentioning, but the effect is just as good; better actually.

--Sylvain

Old April 4th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

EridanMan writes:

Mastering control of the aircraft involves developing the 'conditioned
learning to adapt those conditioned responses to the IFR environment.

No, learning to fly IFR means _ignoring_ those conditioned responses, and
flying exclusively based on what the instruments say.

Furthermore, the conditioned responses vary by aircraft; learning one is not
terribly useful for another. And even the more general motion cues are
unreliable.

Ultimately, sensation is almost useless for flying. The real information
comes from visual cues (under VFR) and/or instruments (under IFR). If you
have neither of this, you're headed towards an appointment with destiny, no
matter how much practice you have with physical sensations.

Conversely, you _can_ fly without the sensations, as long as you have visual
cues and/or instruments.

And, if you have sensations _and_ visual cues _and_ instruments, the ones to
trust first are the instruments, followed by visual cues. The sensations are
not trustworthy, except to help you make coordinated turns or in a few other
very isolated circumstances.

Simply knowing what to look for on the gauges is _NOT_ enough, and I
think we would all appreciate if you would stop asserting such.

People fly safely and successfully every day just by looking at those gauges.
Nobody flies for more than a few minutes just by depending on sensations.

Old April 4th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Sylvain writes:

I call bull**** on this one. No you can't. Yes you do have an instrument
that shows you how to walk straight: your eyeballs (we won't do the
experiment in the dark at first) looking at, say, the road or the walls
around you or other fixed objects of your choice. An NO, emphatically,
you won't be able to walk straight, or even stand up. There are actually
neat and fun devices designed to do just that: spin you around and around
for a while (there was one at Beale AFB where I did the high altitude
training, I am sure you can find something similar elsewhere)

You're probably right. I guess that rules out piloting an aircraft in an
unbraced standing position, then.

Not minutes at a time, but HOURS at a time depending on how long
the flight in the clouds lasts. Not quite spinning like the fun training
device I was mentioning, but the effect is just as good; better actually.

But you don't have to walk in an aircraft.

Old April 4th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Mxsmanic wrote:

[...]

Feel free to call bull**** on all his posts, including the one's you haven't
wasted time reading. You will still be right 99% of the time or better.

All his attendance on this post is proving, is that he still doesn't get it.
No matter what he has read, either here or anywhere else on disorientation,
he can't even understand the concept. Even with a dozen or so people, trying
to explain it a dozen different ways, his is just simply no capable of
understanding it.

Really magnifiys his ignorance on his ability to learn to fly an aircraft
through simulation doesn't it.

Old April 4th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
EridanMan writes:
[...]

What a clueless troll!!!!!!

Old April 4th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sylvain writes:

[...]

Take your meds and get back to flying your desk.

Old April 4th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Apr 5, 6:04 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Dave Doe writes:
If I were to spin you round and round in your seat for a minute (I'm
sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers - and then get you to stand
up and walk twenty feet in a straight line. Can you do it?

If I have an instrument that shows me how to walk straight, yes.

But in reality, aircraft do not spin round and round for minutes at a time
just because they are in clouds.

If not, wny not? - you can *see* what you're meant to do!

A better experiment would be to see if I could _steer_ straight after a spin.
When you fly an aircraft, you move controls--you don't actually walk (which is
a much more complex activity). It's almost impossible to walk with disturbed
equilibrium, because the primary source of information--even with extensive
visual cues--is the inner ear. This is not true of instrument flight, where
the primary source of information is instruments, and a disturbance in
equilibrium, which disorienting, is not an absolute obstacle to maintaining
control.

It's a bit like the difference between being dizzy in a chair and being dizzy
while standing.

And PS: how's your flying on a limited panel (no A/H in particular)?

I haven't tried it.

Now you're just being a cock..

Old April 4th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 6:04 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
I haven't tried it.

Now you're just being a cock..

Only now?

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Why Screeners Miss Guns and Knives (and why pilots miss planes and airports) cjcampbell Piloting 2 January 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Junk Yards NVArt Home Built 5 July 13th 05 07:35 PM
FS Aviation Junk Jim Aviation Marketplace 1 February 11th 05 10:57 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Doug Carter Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 11th 03 01:38 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Dan R Piloting 7 July 11th 03 01:38 PM