Noise abatement

Old July 14th 03, 11:56 PM
C J Campbell

Default Noise abatement

It has been hot and dry here in the Seattle area for the past few weeks
(believe it or not). We have been doing a lot of pattern work at Tacoma
Narrows and have had plenty of opportunity to see Wollochet Bay filled with
jet skis, water skiers, etc. No doubt these are the same people who are
complaining about airport noise.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

For the Homeland!

Old July 15th 03, 07:34 AM
jacjohn

Most definetly. They are also probably the ones who moved there *after* the
airport.

John Y.
PP-ASEL

Old July 15th 03, 11:25 AM
Roger Long

Jetskis bring up a point applicable to a recent post about the anti plane
noise group in MA.

I, and nearly everyone I've talked with that have been with in a mile of
water, find the noise of jetskis way, way, more objectionable than larger
boats. I don't think it's the noise itself.

Our brains were programmed back when every noise might mean that we had just
been placed on something's menu. Larger boats generally run in a straight
line. The noise increases and decreases. The brain locates it in space and
then tunes it out. Jetskis like to run in manic circles, jumping their
wake. Their operation requires constant throttle changes. Each change in
volume and direction restarts the brains spatial identification, friend or
foe, check. This creates stress.

I suspect that the same thing is true of airplanes. Aerobatics and airwork
are probably much more aggravating to people on the ground than planes
transiting.
Roger Long

Old July 15th 03, 04:20 PM
C J Campbell

That is an interesting theory, except that I do not find the noise of either
airplanes or personal watercraft to be particularly objectionable. Leaf
blowers, though...

Old July 15th 03, 11:29 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roger Long om wrote:

I suspect that the same thing is true of airplanes. Aerobatics and airwork
are probably much more aggravating to people on the ground than planes
transiting.

For me it's helicopters. I don't live particularly near the airport, but
I do live right under the daily migration path to downtown. The fly lower,
make a more irritating wop-wop sound (no, they're not Bell 47s . If
they are scudrunning and pass near the house, things on the wall shake.
The light singles that go over my house are a lot less noticable.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 16th 03, 03:33 PM
Teacherjh

Anybody familiar with the noise abatement situation at Lincoln Park (N07)?
You're supposed to fly somewhat right of runway heading to 1000 feet before
turning, but that takes you right into Caldwell (CDW)'s airspace.

Jose

Old July 21st 03, 12:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:46:14 -0700, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

You don't live on the water do you?

Like bagpipes, I don't think I'll ever get used to a leaf blower. I
have one and it's as band as a V-8 with straight pipes. Just a much
higher frequency.
NOw as to be anoying...the leaf blower is usually only for a few
minutes to an hour. On the water the noise is almost always there
during the day.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Mike
MU-2