Good Garmin 396 Mount - Cessna..

Old August 5th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Dan[_1_]

Default Good Garmin 396 Mount - Cessna..

All,

My flying club has a 98 Cessna 182. Unfortunately, the yoke mounted
chart clip is in the way of the standard Garmin 396 mounting bracket.
This chart clip is not removable easily enough that I'd want to remove
and re-mount it everytime I fly (it's a shared aircraft... If it were
mine, I'd just permanently remove the thing.)

I am considering the purchase of a RAM mount "RAM-B-121-GA7". Does
anyone have any experience with this thing on Cessna Yokes? Can I
come _under_ the yoke with the bracket? Do I need to order any
accessories to make it work, or will that part # include everything I
need?

This might work good on the Comanche yoke also, since I have to have
the GPS slightly tilted due to the full crossmember at the top of the
yoke, and AP disconnect/PTT "plate"...

Unfortunately, my local shop does not have the RAM part in stock, and
it's a little difficult to know for sure what to order on something
like this if you can't lay eyes on it.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Old August 6th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
john smith[_2_]

In article om,
Dan wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a RAM mount "RAM-B-121-GA7". Does
anyone have any experience with this thing on Cessna Yokes? Can I
come _under_ the yoke with the bracket? Do I need to order any
accessories to make it work, or will that part # include everything I
need?

I use the suction cup mount and attach it to the side of the windscreen.
This brings it up and closer to eyelevel and into my line of sight as I
look outside.
Old August 6th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Cubdriver

Not quite the same, to be sure, but here are solutions for the Cub:
www.pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

I rent, so for me the G Force suction cup has been the solution.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
from HarperCollins on August 21 www.flyingtigersbook.com
Old August 6th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Paul kgyy

I've used a suction cup mount for several years, and it mostly works
fine.

However, it has fallen off a couple of times. I would hate for that
to happen in the middle of an ifr approach so am looking for an
alternative.

Old August 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
Paul kgyy wrote:

I've used a suction cup mount for several years, and it mostly works
fine.
However, it has fallen off a couple of times. I would hate for that

to happen in the middle of an ifr approach so am looking for an
alternative.

As long as you keep it wet, it will stay in place.
On a hot day, it may be possible for the water between the window and
the suction cup may evaporate.
Old August 8th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim

Don't know if this is comparable or not. I have a 296 and fly a rented
Cessna 152 or 172. I have a beanbag bracket which just sits on top of the
dash and holds it. It's very secure, has never fallen off, and I can use it
on what ever I'm flying.

Martha

ps.com...

Old August 8th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim" wrote:

Don't know if this is comparable or not. I have a 296 and fly a rented
Cessna 152 or 172. I have a beanbag bracket which just sits on top of the
dash and holds it. It's very secure, has never fallen off, and I can use it
on what ever I'm flying.

You don't fly in much turbulence, do you?
Even the suction cup mount can come loose when the bumps reach a given
level.
The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
during the roughest of rides.
Old August 8th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
B A R R Y[_2_]

john smith wrote:
The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
during the roughest of rides.

The yoke mount hits my leg.

The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.
Old August 8th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Newps

B A R R Y wrote:
john smith wrote:

The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
during the roughest of rides.

The yoke mount hits my leg.

The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.

Check out these mounts. I have one in my Bo. Absolute top of the line
quality.

http://www.angerole.com/
Old August 8th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Peter Clark

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:39:18 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

john smith wrote:
The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
during the roughest of rides.

The yoke mount hits my leg.

The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.

There's quite the assortment of Ram mounts at
http://www.e-mount.com/page_results.php?uid=723

The new one that clamps to the glareshield looks interesting.