The price of av gas

Old July 2nd 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default The price of av gas

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
news
The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control of Congress

Who's fault?
George?
Nancy and Harry??
Both??

Fuel prices are up across the globe, I think you need to lower demand
or increase supply, nothing short of one of those will fix the
problem.

Or come up with an alternative fuel..

or form of locomotion!

Controlled fusion, antigravity, zero point energy, naqueda (a-la
Stargate)

Old July 2nd 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
news The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control of Congress

Who's fault?
George?
Nancy and Harry??
Both??

Fuel prices are up across the globe, I think you need to lower

demand
or increase supply, nothing short of one of those will fix the
problem.

Or come up with an alternative fuel..

or form of locomotion!

Controlled fusion, antigravity, zero point energy, naqueda (a-la
Stargate)

Nice , but they're all hundreds of years in the future...

Bertie
Old July 2nd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
news The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control of Congress

Who's fault?
George?
Nancy and Harry??
Both??

Fuel prices are up across the globe, I think you need to lower

demand
or increase supply, nothing short of one of those will fix the
problem.

Or come up with an alternative fuel..

or form of locomotion!

Controlled fusion, antigravity, zero point energy, naqueda (a-la
Stargate)

Nice , but they're all hundreds of years in the future...

Exactly my point! The Eco-Nazis are particularly fond of touting all of
those pie-in-the-sky ideas in order to prevent implementing useful
solutions.

Currently, the only viable solutions are nuclear electric power, more
oil and gas, coal-to-hydrocarbon conversions. The technology is there --
it becomes economic at the current price for oil.

Old July 2nd 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jul 1, 2:42*pm, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"GMOD10X" wrote in message

news
The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took control
of Congress

it is, but the causes were put into place well before that, by Bush
and the Republicans. Starting wars in oil producing regions -- not
good for gas prices. also... well see below.

Fuel prices are up across the globe, I think you need to lower demand or
increase supply, nothing short of one of those will fix the problem.

Fuel prices are up across the globe but we in this country are getting
bigger increases than most. Consider that while the price of a barrel
of oil has quadrupled since 2000 in dollars, it's "only" doubled in
Euros. The weak dollar is killing us and is responsible for at least
$1 a gallon of the price run-up. and the weak dollar is caused by:
tax-cut and war driven deficits and interest rate cuts trying to save
the doomed housing market, including the holders of all those toxic
waste CDOs.
Old July 2nd 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news_r_fairbairn-9CB95C.22215701072008@70-3-168-

216.area5.spcsdns.net:

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
[...]

Bull****. These are things that might pay off eventualy, but there are a
lot of fuel solutions that are very close to hand and are very do-able
and the "eco-nazis" as you call them are helping propel these
technoligies.

--
it becomes economic at the current price for oil.

There are a lot of other things, too. Algae fuels look particularly
interesting, for instance, and there are other technoligies that are
still in their infancy that will more than likely pay off in the not too
distant future. For flight, it's unlikely that chemical storage of
energy will be supplanted, but why poo poo anyone looking at
alternatives? Dragging stuff out of the ground is crap at the end of the
day, even if you don't believe in the global warming scenario, it's just
plain crazy to keep doing it and ignoring other technologies that might
pay off.
Imagine trying to tell someone from, say, 1800, that you were goiing to
make a machine out of a gun barrel to crank a windmill to drag a
contraption made out of sticks and rags through the air.. And then fly
it across oceans.

A bit of imagintation, please.

Bertie

Old July 2nd 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

"GMOD10X" wrote in message

[...]

More the effect of the weak dollar on the price of gas (this is for
Mogas, because I don't have the similar information for how much of
the price of gallon of avgas is crude oil):

Since 2000, the price of a barrel is up by a factor of 4.7 in
dollars. But it's "only" up by a factor of 2.4 in Euros.

barrel of oil in 2000: $30, EUR 36.5 (ahh, yes the days of responsible
fiscal policies in America)
barrel of oil today: $142, EUR 88.75

Had the dollar maintained only parity with the Euro, a barrel of oil
would be less than $90 and gasoline (based on U.S. Dept of energy
estimate that crude oil is 75% of the price of gas) would be $2.60 a
gallon today.

Thanks Bush and Bernake.

(show my work:

current price of gas 4.05 *.75 = 3.0375 for crude component of today's
gas price.
If dollar had parity with Euro, crude oil component would be 2.9565
*(88.75/142) = 1.898
divide that by .75 and you get $2.60

Oh, source for 75% number: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp)
Old July 2nd 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Ross" wrote in message
GMOD10X wrote:
The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control of Congress

Who's fault?
George?
Nancy and Harry??
Both??

The American public electing folks that are short sided. Elected folks
that worry about how to get your votes rather than what is good for the
country. people that want their cake and eat is too namely, I want cheap
gas, but... do not drill anywhere in or around the US, and do not build
any refineries in my back yard, do not build nuclear powerplants, etc etc.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

None of those arguments hold any water.

All of the 5 major oil companies' CEOs testified before congress and all 5
said they didn't need more refineries. Oil companies aren't even drilling
the oil leases they already have and even if you added all the potential
leases they could get and the potential added capacity, the price at the
pump remains the same simply because there aren't any major oil fields left
in the US which are cost effective enough to produce cheap oil. Nuclear
power plants aren't being built because investors wont invest in them and
they have zero impact on the price at the pump anyway because oil isn't used
to generate electricity in the US to any significant degree.

If you can't afford Avgas, get your glider rating. It's easy to get. The
local glider club here charges $50 per month in dues and $10 per hour with a
$20 tow. On a good thermal day you can stay up longer than your bladder's
capacity. They are also the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Old July 5th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Old July 5th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"GMOD10X" wrote in message

news
The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control
of Congress

it is, but the causes were put into place well before that, by Bush
and the Republicans. Starting wars in oil producing regions -- not
good for gas prices. also... well see below.

The price of gas is a tax because of the financial mess this country is in.
Click and watch the link I posted above.
There are a lot of other fuels. We have enough CNG for 200 plus years.
We have enough oil in alaska to bring gas back to 1.50.

Old July 5th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"GMOD10X" wrote in message

news
The price of av gas

Is up over 70 percent SINCE Harry and Nancy and the Democrats took
control
of Congress

it is, but the causes were put into place well before that, by Bush
and the Republicans. Starting wars in oil producing regions -- not
good for gas prices. also... well see below.

The price of gas is a tax because of the financial mess this country is
in.
Click and watch the link I posted above.
There are a lot of other fuels. We have enough CNG for 200 plus years.
We have enough oil in alaska to bring gas back to 1.50.

The video is a snake-oil salesman who makes his living off people who are
stupid and naive enough to buy his books and pay to hear him speak. His
claim is that as a volunteer pastor who traveled to the North Slope of
Alaska to preach the gospel, he was given insider information regarding the
proven oil reserves in Alaska that runs completely contrary to everything
anyone else has been told. The only problem is every geologist on the
planet disagrees with him and not one other person has validated his story
despite the fact that he's been telling it since the early 80's.

So if you truly believe him, I have exclusive rights to sell the Brooklin
Bridge and I'm going to let it go on the cheap. We need to do business.