LAHSO Procedures

Old July 11th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default LAHSO Procedures

BT wrote:

I'll agree with Steve's reply..
There is not log book endorsement for LAHSO.
You as the pilot can either choose to accept or deny the LASHO
"request" from ATC.

It's not a request, it's part of a clearance. If you refuse the restriction
to hold short you've also refused the landing clearance. Many pilots seem
genuinely surprised when the ATC response to their refusal of LAHSO is
something other than a clearance to land without the restriction.

Can you readily identify the point that you are to hold short of?

You can if you meet the vision requirements of a Class III or better medical
and are familiar with airport markings and signage as you should be.

Normally a crossing runway and there should be markings on the
landing runway that is your limit.
Is your approach " under control" and you feel you can safely land
and stop before the designated LAHSO limit.
Remember.. you are giving up part of your runway.. and any options of
a go around.. the tower and the other pilot is banking on you being
able to do what you say you will.

Not so. Acceptance of LAHSO does not preclude a go-around.

Old July 11th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

BT wrote:

good catch... thanx Maynard..
and then you could end up with a near miss at the intersection

Or you could turn crosswind before reaching the intersection.

Old July 16th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

On a LAHSO, if i need to go around (which apparently, I can from the
language), do I still need to hold short, i.e. turn crosswind before
approaching the intersection? Do I turn left or right -- is that
cleared up before the decision to go around?

Or if I go around, it it just accepted that a.) we all hope the
conflicting traffic landing doesn't go around and quite the same moment,
and b.) one should think fast and keep their eyes open...

RandyL wrote:
I have a question that has come up in another newsgroup, that I have
always wondered about. When I received my flight training, my instructor
told me not to accept any Land And Hold Short Operations (LAHSO)
instructions from ATC until I had received training in those procedures
- which I never did. Does a licensed pilot (not a student) have to be
officially "certified" to perform any LAHSO procedures? And if so, how
does one go about becoming certified? Or can any licensed pilot perform
LAHSO procedures, as long as he has first received training in said
procedures? If that is the case, how does ATC know that a pilot has
received LAHSO training? Does ATC just assume that if a pilot accepts
LAHSO instruction, that the pilot is familiar and has been trained in
those procedures? Is LAHSO procedure training something that just needs
to be logged in your logbook and endorsed by a CFI? Just curious...

Randy L.

Old July 16th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-16, Tman x@x wrote:
On a LAHSO, if i need to go around (which apparently, I can from the
language), do I still need to hold short, i.e. turn crosswind before
approaching the intersection? Do I turn left or right -- is that
cleared up before the decision to go around?

Fly the airplane and do what you need to. It's the tower's problem to keep
everyone going in different directions. They may well instruct you to change
heading (and will, at some point, tell you where to go); until then, they'll
assume you'll fly runway heading.

Or if I go around, it it just accepted that a.) we all hope the
conflicting traffic landing doesn't go around and quite the same moment,
and b.) one should think fast and keep their eyes open...

Yes...but this is no different from usual. See and avoid doesn't go away
just because there's a control tower there.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

Accident Procedures YFCpilots Soaring 0 June 9th 08 07:45 PM
Take-off practices and procedures... EridanMan Piloting 9 November 17th 06 04:34 PM
Emergency Procedures Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 30 July 18th 06 03:25 PM
DC ADIZ procedures? Roy Smith General Aviation 4 December 24th 04 02:02 PM
New Security Procedures at HPN Rosspilot Piloting 12 January 2nd 04 08:28 PM