Congested Area?

Old July 10th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Congested Area?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 04:50:06 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:

Someone get your tail number?

Who said I was flying?

[shuffles his feet..]

:- )

(no)

--
Dallas
Old July 10th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On 10 Jul 2008 12:09:47 GMT, Robert Moore wrote:

Just to not confuse those that don't know, the yellow on the sectional
chart indicates the area that could be expected to be illuminated at
night by street lights, lights in buildings, etc. It is an aid to night
visual navigation.

I found a reference which doesn't state it that way. Mine you, this
reference just comes from a post in another forum, but he claims to quote
the map makers:

"The "yellow" area on the charts is supposed to correspond to developed
urbanized areas. The only significant change regarding charting in these
"yellow" areas involves the depiction of obstructions. Generally,
obstructions 201' and higher above the ground are depicted on the charts.
However in these "yellow" areas, only obstructions 300' and higher above
the ground are depicted.

Sincerely,
Rick Fecht
National Aeronautical Charting Office
Visual Chart Branch
301-713-2953 Ext-126"

Source:
http://forums.piperowner.org/read/7/21716/21731/quote=1

--
Dallas
Old July 11th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Dallas" wrote in message
.. .
On 10 Jul 2008 12:09:47 GMT, Robert Moore wrote:

Just to not confuse those that don't know, the yellow on the sectional
chart indicates the area that could be expected to be illuminated at
night by street lights,

Wow... I'll bet even the DPE that gave me my check ride couldn't have
answered that one.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't. That's how you navigate visually at
night.

Old July 11th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Dallas" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 04:50:06 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:

Someone get your tail number?

Who said I was flying?

You should learn the correct answers to these questions.

The correct answer is...

"I have no specific remembrance that any such alleged flight ever took
place."

Other examples are...

ATC:
"November12345, how far beneath the clouds are you?"

November12345:
"At least 500 feet."

ATC:
"November12345, what altitude are you showing?"

November12345:
"What was that altimeter setting again? (sound of engine in steep dive or
climb)"

ATC:
"November12345, I gave you a right turn, why are you turning left?"

November12345:
"We were caught in severe turbulence, we are now correcting."

Old July 11th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Dallas wrote:
On 10 Jul 2008 12:09:47 GMT, Robert Moore wrote:

Just to not confuse those that don't know, the yellow on the
sectional chart indicates the area that could be expected to be
illuminated at night by street lights, lights in buildings, etc. It
is an aid to night visual navigation.

I found a reference which doesn't state it that way. Mine you, this
reference just comes from a post in another forum, but he claims to
quote the map makers:

"The "yellow" area on the charts is supposed to correspond to
developed urbanized areas. The only significant change regarding
charting in these "yellow" areas involves the depiction of
obstructions. Generally, obstructions 201' and higher above the
ground are depicted on the charts. However in these "yellow" areas,
only obstructions 300' and higher above the ground are depicted.

Seems to me the developed urbanized areas are the areas that could be

Old July 11th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Dallas wrote:
On 10 Jul 2008 12:09:47 GMT, Robert Moore wrote:

Just to not confuse those that don't know, the yellow on the sectional
chart indicates the area that could be expected to be illuminated at
night by street lights,

Wow... I'll bet even the DPE that gave me my check ride couldn't have
answered that one.

I've heard the question asked many times, but never got an answer.

Really? That was taught to me the first time a sectional was displayed
in ground school. (1979)
Old July 11th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Dallas wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:57:13 -0400, rnruss52 wrote:

Didn't they define an area of ocean off of the Hawaiian shore
(not over the beach), as a congested area sometime in the past year?

That's the exact article I was talking about. They suspended a Gulfstream
pilot for 150 days for making low passes while filming a production.

The first 2 passes were offshore along a beach. The FAA called the beach a
congested area because they considered it an "open air assembly of
persons". - I don't have a big problem with that as there were surfers
down below when he did it.

The second pass gives me some heartburn. The pilot made a gear down, flaps
down low pass over the runway (with permission of the airport manager) and
the FAA board implicitly held that the airfield was a congested area. -

If they call an airport a congested area then my definition of a congested
area is completely invalid.

And so is everyone else's. It just shows that the FAA will use this
particular reg as a gotcha. The plus side to this is that sooner or
later they might get a administrative judge that thinks them doing so is
the complete bull$h!t that it is an rule against them.
Old July 11th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote in
:

Dallas wrote:
[...]

And until then, the pilot who the FAA victimizes with this bull$h!t gets to
spends many, many thousands of dollars in legal fees and expenses to fight
it.