Auto Alternator on an O-320-E2D

Old November 24th 03, 11:40 PM
Ebby

Default Auto Alternator on an O-320-E2D

Dear Group,

I have read many old threads dealing with using auto alternators on
certificated engines but have been unlucky in finding specifically what I am
looking for regarding an answer to my question. So help me please or send
me in the proper direction to find help. I have an O-320-E2D for my Hatz
biplane and wanted to put an automotive style alternator on it as right now
there is no alternator or mounting hardware. How do I go about getting a
matching set of mounting hardware that will adapt an auto alternator to the
O-320? Is there an after market manufacturer of such a conversion? I can't
see forking out the dough for a whole new set of Lycoming mounting hardware
and a new alternator if I can get good serviceability with the automotive
setup. Saving some money and some weight would be a win win. OK let me
know what you think. I'm sure my newbieness is showing through loud and
clear but I have to start somewhere.

John
Camden, NY
Hatz Classic s/n 598

Old November 25th 03, 12:37 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

So help me please or send
me in the proper direction to find help. I have an O-320-E2D for my Hatz
biplane and wanted to put an automotive style alternator on it as right now
there is no alternator or mounting hardware. How do I go about getting a
matching set of mounting hardware that will adapt an auto alternator to the
O-320? Is there an after market manufacturer of such a conversion? I can't
see forking out the dough for a whole new set of Lycoming mounting hardware
and a new alternator if I can get good serviceability with the automotive
setup. Saving some money and some weight would be a win win. OK let me
know what you think. I'm sure my newbieness is showing through loud and
clear but I have to start somewhere.

John
Camden, NY
Hatz Classic s/n 598

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One source... Mark Landoll

http://www.kitplanes.com/resources/s...eCat&si=120080

Another source...

AIR-TEC
800 - 366 -4746

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight
Old November 25th 03, 12:47 AM
Larry Smith

"Ebby" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Try this:

http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/alternator.htm

And the RV scuttlebutt on the subject at www.matronics.com

Old November 25th 03, 01:37 AM
Dave Hyde

Ebby wrote:

How do I go about getting a matching set of mounting
hardware that will adapt an auto alternator to the
O-320?

Van's (www.vansaircraft.com) sells a pretty slick adjustable
alternator bracket for automotive alternators. I put one on
an O-320 D2C with a Nippon Denso 55A alternator. Works OK
so far, less than an hour on it, all ground time g.
That should change soon.

Dave 'penguin' Hyde

Old November 25th 03, 05:04 AM
Dan Thomas

"Ebby" wrote in message ...
[...]

Go to the airport and look at the Cessna 172 alternator setup. You
could bash up a bracket like it out of 1/8" steel plate to mount the
alternator to the crankcase. The adjustment arm could come off an
automobile at the junkyard.
A mid-70s 172 is a good one to examine. You could use a flashlight
and a mirror to see the bracketry without even taking the cowl off.

Dan
Old November 25th 03, 02:02 PM
swedeflyer

I put in a rebuilt alternator from Mark Landoll (pretty cheap and
light), with mounting brackets etc. I believe it was a nippondenso
alternator, have about 500h on that one sofar no problem. I believe
he puts the regulator outside the main housing.
Contact him at:

Mark Landoll
1205 Redbud Lane
Newcastle, OK, 73065
(405)392-3847

SwedeFlyer
Old November 25th 03, 02:04 PM
OSKI 3

Hi JOhn ! I own S/N 576 HATZ, Have
146 hours on it so far. I am Located in
Zephyrhills, FL. In answer to your
Alt. question. Get in touch withAir-Tec Inc. 1339 West Washington St.,
Orlando, FL.
32805. Get the infor on the Mitsubishi Alternator type 14597 Plug type 192.
I have an 0320HAD in my Hatz and it
has not burped yet. If you need anything
else, contact me by regular E-mail.
Good luck with your project.

Bill Oparowski
N101SX
Old November 25th 03, 07:55 PM
Jerry Wass

Try my ole buddy Mark Landoll---405-392-3847----(Ad in Engine sect--Sport
Aviation)--Jerry---(Kelly-D- bldr.)

Old November 26th 03, 02:46 PM
Ebby

I want to thank all who responded. I have some great leads to follow.

Ebby

Getting auto gas at airports Patrick Underwood Home Built 7 September 25th 03 05:10 PM
Auto Fuel STC Jeff Home Built 62 September 24th 03 02:41 AM
A interesting bit of auto fuel info. Stealth Pilot Home Built 0 September 22nd 03 10:34 AM
What's the best auto gas for a/c use in California? [email protected] Home Built 12 September 17th 03 08:47 PM
Barnyard--- Auto engines Jerry Springer Home Built 10 August 8th 03 06:38 PM