Special Ops night landing question

Old October 5th 04, 04:10 PM
Trent Moorehead

Default Special Ops night landing question

I have crossposted this question because I realized that those in the
military area would definitely have some knowledge about this.

Last night, which was a super quiet, calm and moonless night, I was out
standing on the ramp when I heard the rather sharp bark of tires as a plane
landed at the far end of the runway. There was no sound to preface this.
Immediately afterward I heard the sound of prop blade reversal which was
fairly loud. Then I noticed that this plane probably only rolled about 100
feet after touchdown. From my perspective, it looked like this plane hardly
rolled at all after touchdown.

The plane, which was a turboprop by the sound of it and fairly large, took
off with about another 100 feet of ground roll. I could hardly believe what
I could hardly see (it was very dark). The airport beacon did splash some
light on it for a split second as it rotated, but I couldn't discern much.

It stayed in the pattern, but only got to about 100 feet off the ground and
was moooving fast. It came in for another landing, banking extremely to line
up for final. I now realized that there was no landing lights (just nav
lights, no strobes), but more importantly, no runway lights. "Holy crap, how
is the pilot doing this?", I thought.

I remember when arriving at the airport, seeing a black SUV parked at the
landing end of the runway, just visible in the waning light. Could he be
helping with this operation?

Another pilot joined me and said that this was Special Ops from a local base
and that the plane was a Pilatus. Not the new fancy ones, but a special STOL
equipped aircraft.

Does anyone have information about this? This was the most eerie display of
flying I've ever seen....well, barely.

Thanks,

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old October 5th 04, 04:14 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:10:11 -0400, "Trent Moorehead"
wrote in
::

http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_...&vc=&fl=0&n=10
Old October 5th 04, 05:57 PM
Hartwig Flamm

Trent Moorehead wrote:

Another pilot joined me and said that this was Special Ops from a local
base and that the plane was a Pilatus. Not the new fancy ones, but a
special STOL equipped aircraft.

It is most likely a Pilatus PC-6. Go to:

http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/4_sp...l_missions.htm

--

Remove the cork to Reply by e-Mail.

Old October 5th 04, 07:04 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
NC by any chance?

Yep. Harnett Co. airport in Erwin.

-Trent

Old October 5th 04, 08:16 PM
Chuck

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message
I have crossposted this question because I realized that those in the
military area would definitely have some knowledge about this.

Last night, which was a super quiet, calm and moonless night, I was out
standing on the ramp when I heard the rather sharp bark of tires as a

plane
landed at the far end of the runway. There was no sound to preface this.
Immediately afterward I heard the sound of prop blade reversal which was
fairly loud. Then I noticed that this plane probably only rolled about 100
feet after touchdown. From my perspective, it looked like this plane

hardly
rolled at all after touchdown.

snip

It was Jay dropping off brochures for his establishment.

(Sorry Jay, couldn't resist)

---

Old October 6th 04, 12:55 PM
Jon Kraus

It was John Edwards sneaking home after bull****ting his way through
last nights debate....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney owner

Old October 6th 04, 03:13 PM
Maule Driver

Figgers. There's a lot of that strange stuff going on in NC...Unmarked G4s
zooming out of unmarked hangars. "What was that?" "What? That?" "Don't
know...". "You've been here 10 years, what do you mean you don't know!"

Old October 6th 04, 04:45 PM
John Szalay

Maule Driver wrote:
Figgers. There's a lot of that strange stuff going on in NC...Unmarked G4s
zooming out of unmarked hangars. "What was that?" "What? That?" "Don't
know...". "You've been here 10 years, what do you mean you don't know!"

Yep, like the 747 and the IL-62 that were used last year at
Laurinburg-Maxton NC (MXE) by someone for what appears to be HRT training.
they are gone now, cutup for scrap, but we found lots
of 9mm paintball rounds, casings and silhouette targets
on board, just before they were scrapped.

Just for reference...
http://home.earthlink.net/~silverrequiem2/maxton.htm
Old October 6th 04, 05:33 PM
Big John

Trent

Use to make blackout landings in a U-10 when in the 605th Air Commando
Sq.

Used a large open field with three individuals with flash lights in an
"L" shape.

Set up rate of descent and flew bird into the ground. No flare.

Donut cutters )

Big John

----clip----

Does anyone have information about this? This was the most eerie display of
flying I've ever seen....well, barely.

Thanks,

-Trent
PP-ASEL

"bush flying" in the suburbs? [email protected] Home Built 85 December 28th 04 11:04 PM
Landing patterns m pautz Piloting 31 June 18th 04 03:29 PM
Study pilot workload during approach and landing Freshfighter Piloting 5 December 7th 03 04:06 PM
Logging x/c time and definition of landing Koopas Ly Piloting 20 November 25th 03 08:41 PM
Help - I busted into the Class B SEATAC airspace last night, does anyone have any advice ? steve mew Piloting 38 October 28th 03 06:08 PM