Battery for gliders

Old January 11th 05, 08:54 PM
Udo Rumpf

Default Battery for gliders

I bought two Panasonic 7,2a/h batteries and I am very disappointed.
Lucky for me I had two Yuasa 7.0 a/h units, one of which was still in good
working order. I was able to get a direct comparison between the two.
Both Panasonic batteries show at least a 25% less performance compared to
Yuasa. This is the usable time everything being equal.

Also after "identical charge" of all three batteries the two Panasonic's
always
show the same 12.52 volt with the surface charge removed.
While the Yuasa always shows 12.76 volts.

Was I mislead by the Panasonic spec sheet?
How come the old Yuasa outperforms the two new Panasonic,
despite the fact the Panasonic is rated higher by .2 a/h ?
How am I to select the battery if I can not trust the spec sheet?
Is it all reputation. Please advise

Regards
Udo

Old January 12th 05, 03:02 AM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

I have also had low/bad performance from my Panasonics ... as did my
partner ... this is too much of a coincidence ... I like powersonic
.... yuasa seems fine also ... www.ragebattery.com has great prices ...
even when you include shipping.

KK

Old January 12th 05, 04:02 AM
Papa3

Udo,

I don't know anything about process and quality controls in battery
manufacturing, so I can't make an authoritative comment. But, I've
seen a similar complaint levelled against another supposedly
high-quality brand. In that case, annecdotal evidence from people I
trust (ie. several methodical and careful glider pilots) kept me away
from that brand. I then spoke with the guy at the local electronics
supply house, and he said he had "never, ever had a single problem"
with that brand, and he claimed to sell "hundreds of them per month."
Go figure.

However, this retailer did mention that he had seen problems caused by
incorrect storage. High temperature and long term storage without
charging can apparently cause permanent loss of capacity. His
professional opinion was that this was more likely to be the problem
with "bad cells", especially if several were purchased from the same
place.

In any event, I've had very good luck with Powersonic cells. Their
claimed discharge curves are available on the Web, so you can see if
they meet your needs.

P3

Old January 12th 05, 05:37 AM
Jim Vincent

I have also had low/bad performance from my Panasonics ... as did my
partner .

I think much of that has to do with the charger you use. The best one I've
found is configured by the factory to the specific charging requirements of
your battery model. Check out:

http://www.xenotronix.com/products/leadacid/hpx-10.htm

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old January 12th 05, 05:58 AM
keithw

Powersonic has a 8 ah battery that is the same size as a 7 ah.

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old January 12th 05, 08:02 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Fidler wrote:

EaglePicher has a 9A same sixe as a 7A, cost me about $20.

Can you give the model number and where you bought it? The only Eagle
Picher I can find that is the same size as the usual 7 AH is also 7.2 AH.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 12th 05, 10:53 PM

Nobody has mentioned the obvious. Not everybody is using the same discharge
time.
Some are 10 hr, some are 20 hr rates. It makes a difference. Easily enough
change the ads. Longer times (lower discharge rates) make their advertising
look better.

The other technique is to change the discharged voltage, or the charged
voltage.

If you want a better comparison, find the curves and compare them. And the
weights.
And the size. You might be surprised to find that there is little difference
in the
capacities. Chemistry is chemistry.

The other item is to pick a bingo voltage that is correct for the
application, not the
battery. Compare the curves down to that point. If the radio or other
electronics start
to go south at 11 volts, while loaded, the curve below 11 volts will not
take care of
everything that you want to do.

Hence twice the batteries so that the amp-hours are way up there, cause you
can
only use a part of them.

Dennis

Old January 13th 05, 02:23 AM
Andy Blackburn

These 8Ah batteries have worked well for me.

http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/hr9-12b1.html

They are 'High Rate' batteries, which appear to work
better under the ~1A that my panel draws. Even so,
each battery last about 5 hours.

9B

Bob Fidler wrote:

EaglePicher has a 9A same sixe as a 7A, cost me about
$20.

Can you give the model number and where you bought
it? The only Eagle
Picher I can find that is the same size as the usual
7 AH is also 7.2 AH.

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old January 13th 05, 04:12 AM
Paul M. Cordell

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Bob Fidler wrote:

EaglePicher has a 9A same sixe as a 7A, cost me about $20.

Can you give the model number and where you bought it? The only Eagle
Picher I can find that is the same size as the usual 7 AH is also 7.2 AH.

Even @ 7 ah, we should support our own. The President of Eagle Picher
flies a Discus 2!