LSA specs

Old September 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default LSA specs

Could someone clarify something for me concerning LSA's. The websites
that have the detailed LSA aircraft limitations listed say that the
plane must have a maximum stalling speed of 51 mph at the maximum gross
takeoff weight WITHOUT the use of high lift devices.

I plugged the numbers for a Sonex into the John Roncz spreadsheets. (
Max Gross TOW of 1150 lbs, stall of 46 mph ) and it reports that I need
a wing area of 180 sq. feet. The Sonex only has 98 square feet of
wing. What am I missing?

Thanks
Neal

Old September 23rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
ps.com...
Could someone clarify something for me concerning LSA's. The websites
that have the detailed LSA aircraft limitations listed say that the
plane must have a maximum stalling speed of 51 mph at the maximum gross
takeoff weight WITHOUT the use of high lift devices.

I plugged the numbers for a Sonex into the John Roncz spreadsheets. (
Max Gross TOW of 1150 lbs, stall of 46 mph ) and it reports that I need
a wing area of 180 sq. feet. The Sonex only has 98 square feet of
wing. What am I missing?

Thanks
Neal

I *think* high lift devices are considered to be Fowler flaps, slats, slots,
etc. Everything I can find on the internet indicates that conventional
hinged flaps are allowed on LSA's.

If you look at something with a similar planform, more weight and more wing
area (an RV-6), you'll find that the CAFE foundation measured a flaps down
stall speed of 52 mph for an RV-6a, which is an indicator that a Sonex could
meet the 51 mph regulation.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf/RV-...inal%20APR.pdf

KB

Old September 23rd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
.Blueskies.

Any flap is considered a high lift device. An LSA can have flaps, but the stall speed clean is what is the determining
factor for the 45 knot (52MPH) limit. Seems that the powers that be do not want to require pilots to operate any but the
most basic flight and engine controls. Even a LSA 'amphib' with wheels on the floats cannot change the configuration
while in flight - the wheels need to be fixed either extended (for land takeoff and landing) or retracted for water
takeoff and 'landing'.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message . ..
:
: ps.com...

Old September 23rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack[_1_]

("Kyle Boatright" wrote)
If you look at something with a similar planform, more weight and more
wing area (an RV-6), you'll find that the CAFE foundation measured a flaps
down stall speed of 52 mph for an RV-6a, which is an indicator that a
Sonex could meet the 51 mph regulation.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf/RV-...inal%20APR.pdf

Interesting site!

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/research_aprs.php
"Aircraft Performance Reports"

(From CAFE Home page)
For over 25 years the aviation enthusiasts at the (C)omparative (A)ircraft
(F)light (E)fficiency Foundation have been carefully measuring personal
aircraft performance with innovations in flight testing. Their passion for
this stems from the thrill of working with state-of-the-art aircraft and the
geniuses who create them.

Montblack

Old September 23rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, ".Blueskies." said:
most basic flight and engine controls. Even a LSA 'amphib' with wheels
on the floats cannot change the configuration
while in flight - the wheels need to be fixed either extended (for land
takeoff and landing) or retracted for water
takeoff and 'landing'.

The makers of one flying-boat style LSA (memory says Mermaid or Merlin or
something like that) have gotten a waiver that allows Light Sport pilots
to get special training to operate the gear.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I got accused of being humorless last night. I'm considering quoting
Old September 23rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Actually, the CAFE numbers come out a little better than what Van
states as the performance figures for the RV-6. And the stall speeds
that Van posts are pretty much what J. Roncz predicts in his
spreadsheets, even though Van's are a bit better. But then again Van's
planes may be operating at a slightly higher CL than what Roncz uses.
Which leads me to believe that the spreadsheets are quite accurate.

This is why I'm having a hard time believing that the Sonex aircraft
meet the LSA rules as written. Even at the lightest version of their
aircraft ( Jabiru 2200 power and flown solo and no fuel ) the plane
would have a hard time meeting the stall requirements of LSA which
require max gross wt. figures with a 51 mph stall speed.

And my intention is to fully understand the LSA rules, not "down" the
Sonex aircraft or the people behind it. I believe the Sonex and its
people to be top notch, as do many others, evidenced by how many are
flying and continue to be built. They are reasonally priced,
economical to operate and good "all around" performers for their
power. And from what I have seen, several of the other "popular" LSA's
would have a hard time meeting the LSA specs. as I see them written.

Neal

Kyle Boatright wrote:
ps.com...

Old September 23rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ET

wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Which part of my post that indicated the fuselage of the Sonex is a
lifting body confused you??? Steve Wittman is said to have won a bet or
two with the same issue on the Tailwind. I have not done it, but plug
the same numbers in for the Tailwind and see what pops out.

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

ICOM A23 Transformer Specs [email protected] General Aviation 10 April 17th 06 01:32 AM
ICOM A23 Transformer Specs [email protected] Piloting 5 April 16th 06 04:23 AM
A380 spec's G. Sylvester Piloting 30 January 21st 05 10:12 AM
A36 Bonanza Specs Anthony Acri Simulators 1 December 4th 04 12:55 PM
Specs for a B24D Liberator John T. Slodyczka Military Aviation 0 November 21st 03 02:18 AM