Sun N Fun Pix -- Better Late than Never!

Old May 5th 04, 03:00 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Sun N Fun Pix -- Better Late than Never!

http://alexisparkinn.com/sun_n_fun_04.htm

I *finally* got a few minutes to post these.

What a great flight, and a great week!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 5th 04, 04:36 AM
Jim Fisher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
http://alexisparkinn.com/sun_n_fun_04.htm

I *finally* got a few minutes to post these.

'Sup Jay.

You landed in Huntsville for lunch and didn't call me. It's only about an
hour away. Remind me to smack you next time I see you.

--
Jim Fisher

Old May 5th 04, 03:23 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck ) wrote:

http://alexisparkinn.com/sun_n_fun_04.htm

Oh, sure. Another shameless plug for the Alexis Park Inn.

--
Peter

Old May 5th 04, 08:03 PM
news.charter.net

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Geez - you weren't kidding about the terrible condition of the asphalt at
IOW.

Old May 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Ben Smith

Sorry, new computer blues.. My name should be posting correctly now.

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old May 5th 04, 08:29 PM
Jay Honeck

Geez - you weren't kidding about the terrible condition of the asphalt at
IOW.

I'd like to be very clear on this issue: It is only the asphalt in front of
our old hangar that is bad.

The asphalt and concrete runways, ramps, and main taxiways are all in fine
shape -- so don't be afraid to come here!

It's just the old blacktop in front of our line of hangars -- which are the
oldest on the airport -- that is in shameful condition.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 5th 04, 08:40 PM
Jay Honeck

You landed in Huntsville for lunch and didn't call me. It's only about an
hour away. Remind me to smack you next time I see you.

Wow -- I didn't realize I was so close! Sorry, man.

You'll be glad to know, however, that I *did* almost get my ass kicked while
in Huntsville, by some good ol' 'Bama boy who jumped up on my wing and
wanted a piece of me.

It seems in my frustrating search for the FBO (who did not answer my calls
on the radio), I taxied past his open maintenance hangar door, and blew a
bunch of crap around inside. It must've been some weird combination of wind
currents and prop blast, cuz neither Mary nor I thought I had taxied close
enough to do such a thing -- but this poor sap chased me clear across the
airport on his bicycle to let me know what a dope I was...

Funny thing is, Mary and the kids were out on the tarmac stretching (after a
3.5 hour flight) when this guy jumped up on my wing to have a look at the
idiot inside.
I was busily filling out my log book, and didn't even notice him next to me
for some seconds. Mary says he was kneeling there for over a minute,
waiting for me to notice him.

My first thought when I saw him was "Uh-oh -- ramp check time!," so I
politely asked him what I could do for him.

This unexpected politeness seemed to completely deflate him, and he just
mumbled something about how I should be more careful when taxiing past open
hangars. He told me I had blown all sorts of crap around his hangar, and he
really didn't appreciate it much.

I was as nice as pie, and apologized profusely -- I really did feel badly,
cuz it's happened to me.

In retrospect, however, the next time someone jumps up on my wing without
asking, I'm going to kick his ass -- and THEN apologize.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 5th 04, 09:44 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jay Honeck" writes:

In retrospect, however, the next time someone jumps up on my wing without
asking, I'm going to kick his ass -- and THEN apologize.

Your choice -- but wasn't the outcome you actually got, by being nice,
really about the best available? Nobody hurt, not even much yelling.

Yeah, jumping on your wing without asking isn't good, but still; you
decide to kick his ass, and he might kick yours, or he might press
charges. Either outcome seems pretty bad.

(Among other things, I'm a concealed handgun instructor, and we spend
a LOT of time in class talking about the importance of *avoiding*
conflict.)
RKBA: http://noguns-nomoney.com http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Photos: dd-b.lighthunters.net Snapshots: www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/
Old May 5th 04, 09:57 PM
Ben Smith

I'd like to be very clear on this issue: It is only the asphalt in front
of
our old hangar that is bad.

Sorry for not specifying that, I know IOW is very nice, it's just the front
of your hangar that all haggard.

I'll definitely try to be out for the Pool Party in a couple months. I'd
stop out sooner but I've grounded myself until I work out some health
issues. (Fatigue, Nausea, general 'jet lag' type feeling for the last 3
months.) Extensive blood tests came up with nothing, but I have a cranial
MRI scheduled in a couple weeks. (The doc wanted to see if there was
something going on with my sinuses, or something?). Any advice or other
guesses are welcome.

It's hard to let our nice Skyhawk sit around on these gorgeous days!

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old May 6th 04, 01:17 AM
Mike Weller

On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:40:37 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

This is my home airport.

That was the Med-Flight hangar you trashed!!! You didn't see the big
"H" and all of that? They didn't think it was cute at all. You're
lucky you've still got both/any testicles.

You'll be glad to know, however, that I *did* almost get my ass kicked while
in Huntsville, by some good ol' 'Bama boy who jumped up on my wing and
wanted a piece of me.

It seems in my frustrating search for the FBO (who did not answer my calls
on the radio), I taxied past his open maintenance hangar door, and blew a
bunch of crap around inside. It must've been some weird combination of wind
currents and prop blast, cuz neither Mary nor I thought I had taxied close
enough to do such a thing -- but this poor sap chased me clear across the
airport on his bicycle to let me know what a dope I was...

First of all, our new airport has some of the best markings anywhere.
There is a yellow line and taxiway signs that are new and easily seen.
How in the world did you get over to the maintenance hangar if you
could see our new terminal building (the one in your pictures)? It
dominates the ramp.

Sorry that UNICOM didn't give you a call back. They are very good
about that. Really.

Mike Weller