A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Push to connect tubing connectors

Old January 24th 16, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill (BT)
external usenet poster

Default Push to connect tubing connectors

Push to connect (ptc) fittings have been around for several years and are becoming very popular for general plumbing. I decided to try them for panel plumbing on the Duck Hawk since space is limited behind the panel. I also used small diameter tubing since I have no flow based instruments. The results were better than expected. Tubing clutter is completely gone since the tubing is about the same size as electrical wiring and the hook up is fast, just cut the tubing and push it into the connector. The bonus is that the tubing releases just as quickly by pressing the release ring and pulling out the tubing. You can use 1/8" or 3/16" o.d. tubing for pressure based instruments. I tested 50' of 1/8" o.d. tubing with my asi and found little to no delay in readings. I am still using the 1/4" o.d. nylon tubing coming into the cockpit but have inserted a gas filter at the step down from 1/4" to 1/8" to prevent clogging of the smaller tubing. I have tested the panel and it was airtight on the first test.

These fittings are widely available and come in many sizes and configurations (I got mine on Amazon). They also have nice manifolds (see photo link) which allow you to send a separate line to each instrument instead of Daisy chaining them together which makes for fewer connections and is easier to work on individual instruments.

https://btgliders.shutterfly.com/