Sparkplug torque values

Old July 4th 05, 08:36 AM
Roger

Default Sparkplug torque values

I've spent the better part of an hour and a half on the net searching,
tried to get into the ABS site which appeared to be down, spend
several hours searching through what manuals I have, but I couldn't
find the torque required for the spark plugs in an IO-470N.

I did find the torque values for about any bolt size you'd ever find
on an airplane (wet or dry) though:-))

Any one have that, or a URL for the source?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old July 4th 05, 11:06 AM
Philippe

Roger wrote:

I've spent the better part of an hour and a half on the net searching,
tried to get into the ABS site which appeared to be down, spend
several hours searching through what manuals I have, but I couldn't
find the torque required for the spark plugs in an IO-470N.

For all sparks

diameter
18mm
- in steel : 34-45N.m / 3.5-4.5kg.m / 25.3-32.5lb.ft
- in Al alloy: 35-40N.m / 3.5-4.0kg.m / 25.3-28.9lb.ft

14mm
- in steel : 25-35N.m / 2.5-3.5kg.m / 18.0-25.3lb.ft
- in Al alloy: 25-30N.m / 2.5-3.0kg.m / 18.0-21.6lb.ft

12mm
-in steel : 15-25N.m / 1.5-2.5kg.m / 10.8-18.0lb.ft
- in Al alloy: 15-20N.m / 1.5-2.0kg.m / 10.8-14.5lb.ft

10mm
- in steel : 10-15N.m / 1.0-1.5kg.m / 7.2-10.8lb.ft
- in Al alloy: 10-12N.m / 1.0-1.2kg.m / 7.2-8.7lb.ft

8mm
- in Al alloy: 8-12N.m / 0.8-1.0kg.m / 5.8-7.2lb.ft

--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old July 4th 05, 04:25 PM
RST Engineering

....tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

BTW, that copper loaded goose grease is so far superior to the black
graphite stuff it isn't even funny. Just FYI

Jim

Old July 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Jim Carriere

RST Engineering wrote:

...tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

I thought it was tighten until it strips, then back off a quarter turn?

Old July 4th 05, 06:41 PM

RST Engineering wrote:
...tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

BTW, that copper loaded goose grease is so far superior to the black
graphite stuff it isn't even funny. Just FYI

A former cow-orker had an old Stinson on which, at some point
in time, the threads had been stripped and repaired with helicoils.
He used _Never Seize_ (which I think is grease with powdered nickel)
on his sparkpluck threads and the heli coils backed out.

Dunno if the Never_Seize was to blame, but he said the problem
didn't repeat after he cleaned it off.

--

FF

Old July 4th 05, 07:11 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Jim Carriere wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

...tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

I thought it was tighten until it strips, then back off a quarter turn?

That's on aluminum blocks. On iron you tighten until the plug breaks,
remember how it felt and don't tighten so much next time.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old July 5th 05, 12:19 AM
jerry wass

RST Engineering wrote:
...tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

BTW, that copper loaded goose grease is so far superior to the black
graphite stuff it isn't even funny. Just FYI

Jim I take a little artists brush & paint that coppercoat all over

the insulator too--makes'em easier to see if you drop them in the dirt.

Old July 5th 05, 12:30 AM
jerry wass

jerry wass wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

...tug ... tug ... right about ... THERE.

BTW, that copper loaded goose grease is so far superior to the black
graphite stuff it isn't even funny. Just FYI

Jim I take a little artists brush & paint that coppercoat all over

the insulator too--makes'em easier to see if you drop them in the dirt.

on another note, the nickel stuff is really great---Back in the gas
drillin boom days, the rigs used that stuff out of 5 gallon pails,
mopped it on the drill stem joints with mops. the nickel was suspended-
(immediately after stirring) in a very heavy chloro-ethylene solvent.
anybody need a gallon ??